Screening South African Drinking-Waters for Organic Substances Hazardous to Health
When screening water supplies for organic pollutants which may be hazardous to health, the choice of analytical techniques is determined by their adaptability to routine use. Important considerations are simplicity, use of automated or semi-automated equipment and economic factors such as high sample throughput per man hour and low sampling and sample preparation costs.
KeywordsStainless Steel Tube Needle Valve High Sample Throughput Serum Vial Beer Bottle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borneff, J. and Kunte, H. (1969) Arch. Hyg. Bakt. 153, 220–229.Google Scholar
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (1975) National interim drinking water regulations. EPA Federal Register, 24th December. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (1978) Control of organic chemical contaminants in drinking water. EPA Federal Register, 9th February. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Hassett, A.J., Van Rensburg, J.F.J. and Van Rossum, P.G. (1978) An improved method for the routine gas chromatographic determination of several halogenated organic compounds. To be submitted for publication in Bull. Environ. Contam. and Toxicol.Google Scholar
- Kissinger, L.D. and Fritz, J.S. (1976) J. Am. Wat. Wks Ass. 68, 435.Google Scholar
- Symons, J.M., Bellar, T.A., Carswell, J.K., Demareo, J., Kropp, K.R., Robeck, G.G., Seeger, D.R., Slocum, C.J., Smith, B.L. and Stevens, A.A. National organics reconnaissance survey for halogenated organics in drinking water, EPA., Cincinnati.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J.F. (editor) (1974) Analysis of pesticide residues in human and environmental samples, prepared by Pesticides and Toxic Substances Effects Laboratory, National Environmental Research Centre, US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC27711.Google Scholar
- Van Rensburg, J.F.J. (1978) A routine multiple progressive thin layer chromatographic technique for polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. Submitted for publication in Bull. Environ. Contam. and Toxicol.Google Scholar
- Van Rensburg, J.F.J., Kuhn, A. and Van Rossum, P. (1978b) A multiple progressive thin layer technique for the determination of chlorophenols. Submitted for publication in Bull. Environ. Contam. and Toxicol.Google Scholar
- Webb, R.G. (1975) National Environmental Research Centre, Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Corvallis, Oregon 97330, Document no. EPA-660/4–75–003 (June).Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1971) International standards for drinking water, 3rd ed., WHO, Geneva.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1975) Health effects relating to direct and indirect reuse of wastewater for human consumption. Technical Paper no. 7, WHO, Geneva.Google Scholar