Analysis of Headspace Gases for Parts Per Billion Concentrations of Volatile Organic Contaminants in Water Samples by Gas Chromatography
Trace organics in water samples have been encountered in distilled, deionized and drinking waters (Bevenue et al, 1971; Nowak et al, 1973 and Dowty et al, 1976). There is a need for rapid and accurate analytical methods because of the potential toxic and carcinogenic effects of these contaminants. These organics may be split into two classes, volatile and less volatile, as suggested by Nowak et al, (1973) each class requiring separate treatment to find the most suitable analytical techniques. Available methods of analyses for the volatile fraction may be subdivided under the following headings.
KeywordsMethane Hexane Chloroform Ozone Hydrocarbon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellar, T.A., and J.J. Lichtenberg. 1974. Determining volatile organics at microgram-per-litre levels by gas chromatography. Jour. AWWA 66:12:739–744.Google Scholar
- Dowty, B., L. Green, and J.L. Laseter. 1976. Application of a computer-based Chromatograph for automated water pollution analysis. Jour. of Chromatogr. Sci. 14: 187–190.Google Scholar
- Henderson, J.E., G.R. Peyton, and W.H. Glaze. 1976. A convenient liquid-liquid extraction method for the determination of halo-methanes in water at the parts-per-billion level. In: Lawrence H. Keith, ed. Identification and Analysis of Organic Pollutants in Water. Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Michigan.Google Scholar
- Kinman, R.N. 1972. Ozone in water disinfection. In: Francis L. Evans III, ed. Ozone in Water and Wastewater Treatment. Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Michigan.Google Scholar
- Kissinger, L.D., and S. Fritz. 1976. Analysis of drinking water for haloforms. Jour. AWWA 68:8:435–437.Google Scholar
- Kopfler, F.C., R.G. Melton, R.D. Lingg, and W.E. Coleman. 1976. GC-MS determination of volatiles for the national organics reconnaissance survey (NORS) of drinking water. In: Lawrence H. Keith, ed. Identification and Analysis of Organic Pollutants in Water. Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Michigan.Google Scholar
- Mackay, D., W.Y. Shiu, and A.W. Wolkoff. 1975. Gas chromatographic determination of low concentrations of hydrocarbons in water by vapor phase extraction. In: Water Quality Parameters, ASTM. STP 573.Google Scholar
- McAuliffe, C. 1971. GC determination of solutes by multiple phase equilibration. Chem. Technol. 1:46–51.Google Scholar
- Mieure, J.P. 1977. A rapid and sensitive method for determining volatile organohalides in water. Jour. AWWA 69:1:60–62.Google Scholar
- Richard, J.J., and G.A. Junk. 1977. Liquid extraction for the rapid determination of halomethanes in water. Jour. AWWA 69:1:62–64.Google Scholar
- Stevens, A.A., and J.M. Symons. 1977. Measurement of trihalomethane and precursor concentration changes. Jour. AWWA 69:10:546–554.Google Scholar