Management of Anger in a Therapeutic Community for Drug Addicts
The major focus of this paper is on the problems, solutions and benefits we found in implementing Novaco’s (1977) systematic program for anger management in an inpatient therapeutic community for drug addicts. We became interested in implementing such a program in our community because anger and angry transactions are emotional and behavioral patterns frequently encountered among our patient population. In general, it seems that among this population conflict and frustration are handled predominately in one of two ways: either the individual is passive, experiences little or no anger and totally withdraws from conflict, or becomes provoked very easily, experiences intense anger and behaves aggressively. Novaco’s program is designed particularly for the latter response pattern while assertion training and fair fight techniques (Moffett, 1976) are interventions designed for individuals on the passive end of the anger continuum.
KeywordsDrug Addict Therapeutic Community Anger Management Fellow Resident Intense Anger
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Novaco, R.W. 1977. Stress inoculation: A cognitive therapy for anger and its application to a case of depression. J. Consulting and Clin. Psych. (in press).Google Scholar
- Novaco, R.W. 1976. The functions and regulation of the arousal of anger. Am. J. Psychiatry. 133: 1124–1128.Google Scholar
- Novaco, R.W. Anger management procedures: Therapist manual. Unpublished materials.Google Scholar
- Novaco, R.W. Anger and coping with provocation: An instruction manual. Unpublished materials.Google Scholar
- Moffett, L.A. 1975. Fair fight training in a therapeutic community for drug abusers. NDAC paper. New Orleans, LA.Google Scholar
- Moffett, L.A. and Bale, R.N. 1978. Assertiveness, fears and preferred reinforcements of patients and staff in a therapeutic community for drug abusers. NDAC paper. Seattle, WA.Google Scholar
- Moos, R.H. 1974. Manual for Word Atmosphere Scale. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologist Press.Google Scholar
- Zarcone, V.P. 1975. Drug Addicts in a Therapeutic Community: A Sartori Approach. Baltimore: York.Google Scholar