Sociobiology and the Therapeutic Community
In a 1977 meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the controversy surrounding sociobiology was the culmination of arguments raging since publication two years ago of Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Harvard Zoologist, Edward O. Wilson, a work regarded as definitive in the field (Gustaitis, 1977). This paper will attempt to define the sociobiological system and apply some of the basic principles inherent in that system to the therapeutic community, which is to some extent a microcosm of society, combining the elements of “family” with cultural attributes and survival skills. It will also attempt to suggest some possible areas where modification of the community to correspond with sociobiological theory might lead to a more effective utilization of the community as a therapeutic tool.
KeywordsMeaningful Life Therapeutic Community Reciprocal Altruism Heroin Addiction Personal Power
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aron, W.S. and Daily, D.W. 1976. Graduates and splitees from therapeutic community drug treatment programs: a comparison. IJA. 11 (1): 1–18.Google Scholar
- Barash, D.P. 1977. Sociobiology and Behavior. New York: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Brewster, J.T. and Garrigues, C. 1974. The Mendocino Game rules, policies, modes and techniques. DF. 4 (1): 15–29.Google Scholar
- Darwin, C. 1871. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. New York: Appleton.Google Scholar
- Freudenberger, J.J. 1976. The Therapeutic Community Revisited. AJDA. 3 (1): 33–43.Google Scholar
- Galvin, R.M. 1977. Sociobiology: A new theory of behavior. Time. 110 (5): 54–63.Google Scholar
- Gustaitis, R. 1977. Watch Out! Here come the sociobiologists. Straight Creek Journal. 6 (30): 1.Google Scholar
- Tiger, L. and Fox, R. 1971. The Imperial Animal. New York: Holt.Google Scholar
- Trivers, R.L. 1972. Parental investment and sexual selection. In Sexual Selection and the Descent of Man( B. Campbell, ed.) Chicago: Aldine.Google Scholar
- Trivers, R.L Yablonsky, 1974 Parent-offspring conflict. AMZO. 14: 249–264Google Scholar
- Wilson, E.O. 1965. Synanon: The Tunnel Back. Baltimore: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Wilson,E.O. 1975. Sociobiology: The New Synthesis. Cambridge: HarvardGoogle Scholar