The Cultural Fit Factor in Developing Drug-Free Therapeutic Communities for Puerto Rican Addicts in the United States
The purpose of my paper is to share with you my views on the particular cultural aspects that have to be taken into consideration when promoting rehabilitation services for Puerto Rican drug addicts and prevention services for Puerto Rican communities where addiction is endemic. My views are based on 18 years of experience in the design and implementation of the psychiatrically supervised drug-free therapeutic community system in Puerto Rico, it’s implementation in the United States in the last 12 years and in the Dominican Republic in the last 3 years.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. 1977. Department of Social Services Annual Report.Google Scholar
- Ellenberger, H. 1970. The Discovery of the Unconscious, Chapter 8. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Kroeber and Kluckhohn. 1952. Culture, 47 (1). The Papers of the Peabody Museum.Google Scholar
- Lewis, O. 1966. La Vida. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- May, R. 1969. Existential Psychology. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, E. 1966. The Mental Health Program of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Rehabilitating the Narcotics Addict. Vocational Rehabilitation Administration. U.S. Department of Health.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, E. 1968. The Existential Approach to the Management of Character Disorders. Rev. Exist. Psych. and Psychiatry, 8: 4353.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, E. 1973a. The Dome Model in the Management of Addiction. Major Modalities in the Treatment of Drug Abuse. New York: Behavioral Publications.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, E. 1973b. The Addiction Services Agency of the City of New York. Major Modalities in the Treatment of Drug Abuse. New York: Behavioral Publications.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, E. 1977. Self-Sufficiency: A Survival Approach from a Puerto Rican Perspective. Proceedings, NDAC, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- U.S. Labor Department. 1978. Study by Bureau of Labor Statistics.Google Scholar