Broad Spectrum Behavioral Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
The primary objective of this paper is to expose clinicians to the use of broad spectrum behavioral therapy in the treatment of substance abuse. Those interested in a fuller description of the theory and strategies which underlie this approach are encouraged to review the items listed in the bibliography.
KeywordsCognitive Therapy Distorted Cognition Irresistible Urge Behavioral Treatment Approach Outpatient Detoxification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beck, A.T. 1976. Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders. New York: International Universities Press.Google Scholar
- Beck, A.T. Measuring depression: The depression inventory. In T.A. Williams, M.M. Katz and J.A. Shield (eds.), Recent Advances in the Psychology of the Depressive Illnesses.Google Scholar
- Droppa, D.C. 1973. Behavioral treatment of drug addiction: A review and analysis. International Journal of the Addictions. 8: 143–161.Google Scholar
- Jacobson, E. 1938. Progressive Relaxation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Khantzian, E.J., Mack, J.E. and Schatzberg, A.F. 1974. Heroin use as an attempt to cope: clinical observations. American Journal of Psychiatry. 131: 160–164.Google Scholar
- Kovacs, M. Beck, A.T. and Weissman, A. 1975. Hopelessness: An Indicator of suicidal risk. Suicide. 5: 98–103.Google Scholar
- Miller, P.M. 1973. Behavioral treatment of drug addiction: a review. International Journal of the Addictions. 8: 511–519.Google Scholar
- Shaw, B.F. and Beck, A.T. The treatment of depression with cognitive therapy. In A. Ellis and R. Grieger (eds.), Handbook of Rational Emotive Theory and Practice. New York: Springer Publishing Co. In press.Google Scholar
- Taintor, Z. and D’Amanda, C. 1973. Multiple drug abuse in heroin addicts receiving outpatient detoxification. Proceedings of the Fifth National Conference on Methadone Treatment. New York. 1003–1009.Google Scholar
- Wurmser, L. 1972. Methadone and the craving for narcotics: observations of patients on methadone maintenance in psychotherapy. Proceedings of the Fourth National Conference on Methadone Treatment. San Francisco. 525–528.Google Scholar