Co-Treatment of Groups of Differentiated Substance Abusers
There is a continuing controversy among treatment personnel over how to treat whom among drug users. Understanding differences in personality structure and function may provide clues which will permit careful delineation of the variety of treatment programs designed to meet the needs of particular groups of drug users. Traditional approaches to differentiating among users rely on behavior definitions of the type of drug, frequency, and the intensity of use. We propose a psychodynamic definition of hard and soft core drug use based on the careful assessment of levels of trust and denial. Treatment strategies are geared to meet the user at his or her level of personality organization with outcome measures providing an assessment of the relative effectiveness of differentiated treatment. The therapeutic community provides a vehicle through which investigation of this type will be conducted.
KeywordsSubstance Abuser Hard Core Soft Core Trust Level Heroin User
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aron, W.S. and Daily, D.W. 1976. Graduates and splitees from thera-peutic community drug treatment programs. IJA. 11 (1): 1–18.Google Scholar
- Blaine, J. D. and Julius, D.A. 1977. Psychodynamics of Drug Dependence. NIDA Research Monograph.Google Scholar
- Freudenberger, J.J. 1976. The Therapeutic Community Revisited. AJDA. 3 (1): 33–43.Google Scholar
- Frye, R.V., Hammer, M.F., and Burke, G.H. 1978. The Confrontation-Sensitivity Group. NDAC Proceeding (Conference paper).Google Scholar
- Khantzian, E.G. and Treece, C.J. 1977. Psychodynamics of Drug De- pendence: An Overview. NIDA Research Monograph. 12: 11–25.Google Scholar
- Leary, T. 1957. Interpersonal Diagnosis of Personality. New York: Ronald Press.Google Scholar
- Frosh, W.A. and Milkman, H. 1977. Ego Functions in Drug Users. NIDA Research Monograph. 12: 142–156.Google Scholar
- Pittel, S.M. and Hofer, R. 1974. A Systematic Approach to Drug Abuse Treatment Referral. JPD. 6(2): April-June.Google Scholar
- Wurmser, L. 1977. Mr. Pecksniff’s Horse? NIDA Research Monograph. 12: 36–71.Google Scholar