The Confrontation-Sensitivity (C-S) Group
The confrontation group or encounter is basic to most treatment in therapeutic communites for drug abusers. Other types of groups and encounters have also been used with some success in treating people with drug problems. At the University of Colorado Therapuetic Community (PEER I), the staff and senior residents have attempted to bring together a variety of techniques into one comprehensive group, called The Confrontation-Sensitivity (C-S) Group. It may appear evident to the observer that the C-S Group is an eclectic system drawing from such diverse sources as The Synanon and Mendocino Game (Yablonsky, 1965; Brewster and Garrigues, 1974), Daytop Village Encounters, Marathon Group Encounters, Gestalt “Primitive Explosion”, Sensitivity Training (Shaffer and Galinsky, 1974), and Reality Therapy (Glasser, 1965).
KeywordsDrug Abuser Senior Resident Therapeutic Community Sensitivity Training Confrontation Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brewster, J.T. and Garrigues, C. 1974. The Mendocino Game: Rules, Policies, Modes and Techniques. DF. 4 (1): 15–29.Google Scholar
- Burke, G.H., Hammer, M.F. and Milkman, H.B. 1978. Co-Treatment of Groups of Differentiated Substance Abusers. NDAC proceedings. (conference paper).Google Scholar
- Enright, J. 1970. Synanon: A Challenge to Middle Class Views of Mental Health. In Adelson and Kalis (eds.), Community Psychology and Mental Health. Chandler Publishing.Google Scholar
- Frosh, W.A. and Milkman, H. 1977. Ego Functions in Drug Users. NIDA Research Monograph. 12: 142–156.Google Scholar
- Frye, R.V. 1978. Sociobiology and The Therapeutic Community. NDAC proceedings. (conference paper).Google Scholar
- Glasser, W. 1965. Reality Therapy. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Perls, F., Hefferline, R.F. and Goodman, P. 1951. Gestalt Therapy. New York: Dell.Google Scholar
- Schaffer, J.B.P. and Galinsky, M.D. 1974. Models of Group Therapy and Sensitivity Training. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Stroller, F.H. 1968. Marathon Group Therapy. In Gazda, G.M. (ed.), Innovations to Group Psychotherapy. Springfield: Thomas.Google Scholar
- Yablonsky, L. 1965. Synanon: The Tunnel Back. Baltimore: Penguin.Google Scholar