Evaluation of Laboratory Abnormalities in an Addict Population: A Patient Profile
Most of the studies on the medical and laboratory abnormalities found in heroin addicts have focused on specific, predictably abnormal parameters and attempted to quantitate the degree and significance of such laboratory abnormalities. The majority of such investigations have involved relatively small numbers of patients who are most often taken from selected populations, i.e., hospital clinics, in-patient settings, city morgues, etc.1–8 The usefulness of these studies in predicting or describing general trends in heroin addicts is somewhat limited by their selectivity.
KeywordsLaboratory Abnormality Drug Addict Heroin Addict Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase Drug Treatment Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gorodetzky, C.W., Sapira, J.D., et al. 1968. Liver Disease in Narcotic Addicts. Clin. Pharmacol. and Therapeut., 9(6): 720.Google Scholar
- Cherubin, C.E., et al. 1972. Chronic Liver Disease in Asymptomatic Narcotic Addicts. Ann. Intern. Med., 76: (3) 391.Google Scholar
- Cherubin, C.E., et al. 1972. Persistence of Transaminase Abnormalities in Former Drug Addicts. Ann. Intern. Med., 76(3): 385.Google Scholar
- Cherubin, C.E., Hargrove, R.L. and Prince, A.M. 1970. The Serum Hepatitis Related Antigen (SH) in Illicit Drug Users. Amer. J. Epidemiol., 91(5): 510.Google Scholar
- Schoenfeld, M.R. and Samala, R. 1966. Absence of Anemia in Hep- atitis Due to Heroin Addiction: Evidence for Tendency to Erythrocytosis Among Heroin Addicts. J. New Drugs, 6: 149.Google Scholar
- Degroote, J., et al. 1968. A Classification of Chronic Hepatitis. Lancet, 626–629.Google Scholar
- Sapira, J.D., Jasinski, D.R. and Gorodetzky, C.W. 1968. Liver Disease in Narcotic Addicts. II. The Role of the Needle. Clin. Pharmacol. and Therapeut., 9(6): 725.Google Scholar
- Lum, G. and Gambino, S.R. 1972. Serum Gamma Glutamyl Transpeptidase Activity as an Indicator of Disease of Liver, Pancreas or Bone. Clin. Chem., 18(4): 358.Google Scholar
- Louria, D.B., Hensle, T. and Rose, J. 1967. The Major MedicalGoogle Scholar
- Complications of Heroin Addiction. Ann. Intern. Med., 67(1).Google Scholar
- Cherubin, C.E., Millan, S.J. 1968. Serological Investigations in Narcotic Addicts. Ann. Intern. Med., 64: 15.Google Scholar