Psychiatric Illness with Concomitant Drug Abuse
The correlation between drug abuse and intrapsychic problems is not a new issue as can be substantiated by the number of specialty units designated for the treatment of drug and alcohol abuse. The psychiatric literature emphasizes specialization theories regarding drug abuse as a specific form of mental illness. A review of current literature reveals a preponderance of articles dealing with specific psychiatric symptomatology caused by the use of particular substances. Few articles examine the prevalance of substance abuse in psychiatric patients carrying unrelated diagnoses. Those studies which have been done indicate a wide range of prevalence figures for drug abuse, 31%–78%, in selected psychiatric populations (Butzer and Cline, 1974; Fisher et al, 1975; Westermeyer and Walzer, 1975; Blumbert et al, 1971; Hall et al, in press; Cohen and Cline, 1970; Whitlock et al, 1967). The majority of these studies have focused on the young, ages 15–25, rather than considering the psychiatric population as a whole.
KeywordsDrug Abuse Psychiatric Illness Psychiatric Patient Psychiatric Population Abuse Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berlin, I.N. 1975. Psychiatry in the School. Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Baltimore, Md.: Williams and Wilkins. V.2., 2nd Ed., pp. 2251–2256.Google Scholar
- Blumbert, A.G. et al. 1971. Covert Drug Abuse Among Voluntary Hospitalized Psychiatric Patients. JAMA. 217: 1959–1961.Google Scholar
- Bruteline, J.L. and Kinty, B.L. 1968. Computational Handbook of Statistics. Chicago, Il.: Scott, Foresman and Company. Section 5. 2.Google Scholar
- Butzer, S.C. and Cline, D.W. December 1974. Covert Drug Abuse Among Young Hospitalized Psychiatric Patients. Minn. Med. 57: 961–962.Google Scholar
- Fischer, D.E. et al. 1975. Frequency and Patterns of Drug Abuse in Psychiatric Patients. Dis. Nerv. Syst. 36: 550–553.Google Scholar
- Hall, R.C.W. et al. 1978 in press. Covert Outpatient Drug Abuse: Incidence, Therapist Recognition and Management. J. of Nerv. and Ment. Dis. Google Scholar
- Spitzer, R.L., Endicott, J.M. and Robins, E. November 1975. Research Diagnostic Criteria (R.D.C.) for a Selected Group of Functional Disorders. New York: Biometrics Research, N.Y. State Psychiatric Institute, 2nd Ed., pp. 1–34.Google Scholar
- Whitlock, F.A. et al. 1967. Drug Dependence in Psychiatric Patients. Med. J. Aust. 1: 1157–1166.Google Scholar
- Westermeyer, J. and Walzer, V. 1975. Sociopathy and Drug Use in a Young Psychiatric Population. Dis. Nerv. Syst. 36: 673–677.Google Scholar