Drug Abuse and Convulsive States
With the exception of alcohol, the influence of psychoactive drugs on epileptic patients does not seem to have undergone systematic examination. Yet this information is of considerable importance to the drug counselor since drugs, particularly in combination with other physical factors which increase seizure frequency, can interfere with the subject’s ability to hold a job or, in some cases, even to be able to maintain normal social relationships. This, in turn, may result in more extensive drug abuse and ultimate socio-psychological deterioration.
KeywordsEpileptic Patient Status Asthmaticus Convulsive Seizure Lysergic Acid Lysergic Acid Diethylamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Consroe, P., Jones, B., Laird III, H., and Reinking, J. 1976. Anti-convulsant effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. In Cohen, S. and Stillman, R.C. (eds.), The Therapeutic Potential of Marihuana. New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Consroe, P., Martin, P., and Eisenstein, D. 1977. Anticonvulsant drug antagonism of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-induced seizures in rabbits. Res. Comm. Chem. Path. Pharmacol. 16: 1–13.Google Scholar
- Drug-induced convulsions. Report from Boston Collaborative Drug Surveillance Program. Lancet. ii: 677–679.Google Scholar
- Dunning, H.S. 1940. Convulsions following withdrawal of sedative medication. Int. Clinics. 3: 254–264.Google Scholar
- Feeley, D.M., Spiker, M., and Weiss, G.K. 1976. Marihuana and epilepsy: Activation of symptoms by Delta-9-THC. In Cohen, S. and Stillman, R.C. (eds.), The Therapeutic Potential of Marihuana. New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Keeler, M.H. and Reifler, C.B. 1967. Grand mal convulsions subsequent to marijuana use. Dis.Nerv. System. 28: 474–475.Google Scholar
- Laidlaw, J. and Richens, A. 1976. A Textbook of Epilepsy. London: Churchill Livingstone.Google Scholar
- Lampe, K.F. 1978. Pharmacology and therapy of mushroom intoxications. In Rumack, B.H., and Salzman, E., (eds.), Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment. Cleveland: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Ronse, H., and Vervarcke, J. 1972. Acta psychiat. belg. 72: 241–255.Google Scholar
- Sibley, W.A. 1974. Diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy: overview and general principles. Pediatrics 53: 531–535.Google Scholar
- Weiss, G.K., Feeney, D.M. and Spiker, M. 1976. Effect of delta-9THC on physical symptoms and EEG in the totally naturally epileptic beagle. Fed. Proc. : 644 abs. 2418.Google Scholar
- Wulff, M.H. 1960. The barbiturate withdrawal syndrome. EEG Clin. Neurophysiol. Suppl. 14.Google Scholar