The Wisconsin Substance Use Inventory (WSUI)
Considerable concern has appeared during the past few years with problems of “drug abuse” and its complex implications for the individual, his family, and the society at large. The research effort in this field is beset by confusion, methodological and conceptual flaws, absence of needed data, difficulty in obtaining such data, and a multitude of other problems. Research progress has been stymied, on one hand, by lack of standardized and operationalized definitions, terms, and concepts (Elinson and Nurco, 1975) and on the other hand, by the absence of a quantitative and standardized method of measurement (Walizer, 1975).
KeywordsAbuse Risk Dangerous Drug Polydrug User Dispersion Unit DHEW Publication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barter, J.T., Mizner, G.L., and Werme, P.H. 1971. Patterns of drug use among college students in the Denver-Boulder metropolitan area. Final Report, BNDD Contract No. J-68–51, Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.Google Scholar
- Berg, D. 1970. The non-medical use of dangerous drugs in the United States. A comprehensive view. Int. J. Addict. 5: 777–834.Google Scholar
- Bucky, S.F., Edwards, D., and Thomas, E.D. 1974. Intensity: The description of a realistic measure of drug use. J. Consul. Clini. Psychol. 30: 161–163.Google Scholar
- Elinson, J. and Nurco, D. (eds.) 1975. Operational definitions in socio-behavioral drug use research. DHEW Publication No. ( ADM ) 76–292.Google Scholar
- Glen, W.A. and Richards, L.D. 1974. Recent survey of non-medical drug use: A compendium of abstracts. DHEW Publication No. ( ADM ) 75–139.Google Scholar
- Josephson, U. 1974. Studying drug use. In E. Josephson and E.E. Carroll (eds.). Drug Use: Epidemiological and Sociological approaches. Washington, D.C.: Hemisphere.Google Scholar
- Nail, R.L. and Gunderson, E.K.E. 1973. Physician’s Disagreement in Assessing Drug Abuse Risk. Navy Medical Neuropsychiatric Research Unit, San Diego, California: Report No. 73–7.Google Scholar
- Runyon, R.P. and Haber, A. 1971. Fundamentals of behavioral statistics. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Smart, R.G. 1975. Recent studies of the validity and reliability of self-reported drug use, 1970–1974. Cana. J. Crimin. Correc. 17: 326–333.Google Scholar
- Walizer, D.G. 1975. The need for standardized, scientific criteria for describing drug-using behavior. Int. J. Addict. 10: 927–936.Google Scholar
- Welsh, G.S. and Dahlstrom, W.G. 1956. Basic readings on the MMPI in psychology and medicine. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar