Solution of the Electromagnetic Cascade Shower Problem by Analog Monte Carlo Methods — EGS
Over a decade has passed since H. H. Nagel visited SLAC and “planted the seed” to what is now called EGS (Electron Gamma Shower) ---or more appropriately, the EGS Code System. Nagel’s original program was one of three during the early 1960’s aimed at solving the electromagnetic cascade shower problem by Monte Carlo simulation (Nagel, 1963, 1964, 1965). The other two codes that were developed during this period were by Zerby and Moran (1962a,b, 1963) and by Messel and his colleagues (1962, 1970).
KeywordsTrack Length Gold Foil User Code Shower History Cascade Shower
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alsmiller, R. G., Jr., and Moran, H. S., 1969, Calculation of the energy deposited in thick targets by high-energy (1 GeV) electron-photon cascades and comparison with experiment, Nucl. Sci. Eng., 38: 131.Google Scholar
- Clement, G., 1963, Differential path length of the photons produced by an electron of very high energy in a thick target, Comptes Rendus, 257:2971; translated for the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, SLAC-TRANS-141 (1972).Google Scholar
- Colbert, H. M., 1973, SANDYL: A computer program for calculating combined photon-electron transport in complex systems, Sandia Laboratories (Livermore) Report Number SCL-DR-72019.Google Scholar
- Cook, A. J., and Shustek, L. J., 1975, A user’s guide to M0RTRAN2, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center Computation Research Group Report Number CGTM-165.Google Scholar
- Ford, R. L., and Nelson, W. R., 1978, The EGS code system: Computer programs for the Monte Carlo simulation of electromagnetic cascade showers (Version 3), Stanford Linear Accelerator Center Report Number SLAC-210.Google Scholar
- Messel, H., and Crawford, D. F., 1970, Electron-photon shower distribution function, Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Nagel, H. H., 1964, Die Berechnung von Elektron-Photon-Kaskaden in Blei mit Hilfe der Monte-Carlo Methode,Inaugural-Dissertation zur Erlangung des Doktorgrades der Hohen Mathematich-Naturwissenschaftlichen Fakultät der Rheinischen Friedrich- Wilhelms-Universität zu Bonn.Google Scholar
- Zerby, C. D., and Moran, H. S., 1962a, Studies of the longitudinal development of high-energy electron-photon cascade showers in copper, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Report Number 0RNL-3329.Google Scholar