Suppressor Cell Induction and Reticuloendothelial Cell Activation Produced in the Mouse by β 1–3 Glucan
The insoluble polysaccharide β 1–3 glucan was shown to be the active component of zymosan for producing hyperplasia and hyperfunction of the reticuloendothelial (RE) system (9). Moreover, it was found to increase the protection against tumor grafts, bacterial and parasitic infections (2,3,7). Most of previous studies on the mechanisms whereby glucan seems to be an immunostimulant were performed after two or several injections of glucan (1,2,3). In order to evaluate the sequence of qualitative changes in RE system, and their reversibility, we used a single injection of glucan. The intravenous (i.v.) and intraperitoneal (i.p.) routes were compared in the study of functional changes of T and B lymphocytes and of mononuclear phagocytes.
KeywordsAcid Phosphatase Spleen Cell Peritoneal Macrophage Mononuclear Phagocyte Peritoneal Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cook, J. A., Taylor, D., Cohen, C., Rodrigue, J., Malshet, V. and Di Luzio, N. R., In: Immune Modulation and Control of Neoplasia by Adjuvant Therapy, (Ed. M. A. Chirigos ), Raven Press, New York, (1978) 183.Google Scholar
- 3.Di Luzio, N. R., Hoffmann, E. O., Cook, J. A., Browder, W. and Mansell, P., Nat. Cancer Inst. Monogr.(1978) in press.Google Scholar
- 6.LeJeune, F. J. and Evans, R., Europ. J. Cancer 8 (1972) 54.Google Scholar
- 7.LeJeune, F. J., Song, M., Delville, J., Stadtsbaeder, S., Gillet, J. and Jacques, P. J., Europ. J. Cancer (1978) in press.Google Scholar
- 8.Mendes da Costa, P., Defleur, V., Vercammen-Grandjean, A. and LeJeune, F. J., Europ. J. Cancer (1978) in press.Google Scholar
- 11.Vercammen-Grandjean, A. F., and LeJeune, F. J., Production and mode of action of macrophage secretions that interfere with the in vitro incorporation of radioactive DNA precursors by tumour cells. In: The Macrophage and Cancer. - Proc. EURES Symposium Edimburg 1977 (Eds. K. James, B. McBride, A. Stuart ), (1977) 50.Google Scholar