Restricted Access to Common-Property Fishery Resources: A Game-Theoretic Analysis
The “tragedy of the commons” (Ref. 1) has proved particularly difficult to counteract in the case of marine fishery resources (Refs. 2–4), where the establishment of individual property rights is virtually out of the question. Common ownership is the fundamental fact affecting almost every regime of fishery management.
KeywordsFishery Management Differential Game Fishery Resource Yellowfin Tuna Economic Rent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Christy, F. T., Jr and Scorr, A. D., The Common Wealth in Ocean Fisheries, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md., 1965.Google Scholar
- 3.Clark, C. W., Mathematical Thoeconomics: The Optimal Management of Renewable Resources, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.Scott, A. D. and Southey, C., The problem of achieveng efficient regulation of a fishery, Economics of Fisheries Management: A Symposium. Edited by A. D. Scott, University of British Columbia, Institute of Animal Research and Ecology, Vancouver, B.C., 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Gulland, J. A., The management of Marine Fisheries, University of Washington Press, Seattle, Wash., 1974.Google Scholar
- 7.Anderson, L. G., The Economics of Fisheries Management, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Md., 1977.Google Scholar
- 9.Plourde, C. G., Exploitation of common-property replenishable resources, Western Economics Journal, Vol. 9, pp. 256–266, 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.Quirk, J. P. and Smith, V. L., Dynamic economic models of fishing, Economics of Fisheries Management, A Symposium. Edited by A. D. Scott, University of British Columbia, Institute of Animal Research and Ecology, Vancouver, British Columbia, 1970.Google Scholar
- 13.Schaefer, M. B., A study of the dynamics of the fishery for yellowfin tuna in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, Bulletin of the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission, Vol. 2, pp. 247–285, 1957.Google Scholar
- 19.Case, J., A dynamic version of Cournot’s problem, Differential Games and Control Theory. Edited by E. O. Roxin, P. T. Liu, and R. L. Sternberg, Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 161–178, 1977.Google Scholar
- 22.Christy, F. T., Jr., Limited access systems under the Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976, Economic Impacts of Extended Fisheries Jurisdiction. Edited by L. G. Anderson, Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1976.Google Scholar