Opioid Peptides and Protein Phosphorylation
The identification and isolation of naturally occur ring neuropeptides with morDhine-like activity was first reported by Hughes (1975) and co-workers (HUGHES, et al, 1975). These compounds were named methionine-enkephalin and leucine-enkephalin and have the amino-acid sequences of Tyr-Gly-Gly-Phe-Met and Tyr-Gly-Gly-Phe-Leu, respectively. Subsequently, a 31 amino-acid peptide with similar pharmacological and biochemical properties was described (COX, et al, 1975; BRADBURv, et al, 1976; GUILLEMAN, et al, 1976). Sequential amino-acid analysis of this larger peptide, named ß-endorphin, demonstrated a similarity to the C-terminal portion (#61-91) in the sequence of ß-lipotropin (LI and CHUNG, 1976: see Figure 1). Using the mouse vas deferens, the guinea pig ileum, or the opiate receptor assays, it was shown that these neuropeptides act in vitro similar to alkaloid opiates like morphine (HUGHES, 1975; HUGHES, et al, 1975; LI and CHUNG, 1976; SIMANTOV and SNYDER, 1976; GRAF, et al, 1976). These endogenous opioidlike neuropeptides have been shown to interact differentially with the opiate receptors of brain (LORD, et al, 1976).
KeywordsProtein Phosphorylation Opioid Peptide Opiate Receptor Phosphorylative Activity Phosphorylation Assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BLUME, A., BOONE, G. and LICHTSHTEIN, D. Modulators, Mediators and Specifiers in Brain Function, (this volume).Google Scholar
- CLARK, A. G., TONIC., R., ORNELLAS, M. R., and WELLER, M. (1972) Bioch. Pharm. 21, 1989–1990.Google Scholar
- EHRLICH, Y. H., BONNET, K. A., DAVIS, L. G. and BRUNNGRABER, E. G. (1977a) In: Mechanisms, Regulation and Special Functions of Protein Synthesis in the Brain. eds: Roberts, S., Lajtha, A., Gispen, W. H. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 273–278.Google Scholar
- FELDBERG, W. S. and SMYTH, D. G. (1976) J. Physiol. (London) 260, 30–31 P.Google Scholar
- GISPEN, W. H., ZWIERS, H., WIEGANT, V. M., SCHOTMAN, P. and WILSON, J. E. Modulators, Mediators and Specifiers in Brain Function, (this volume).Google Scholar
- GUILLEMAN, R., LING, N. and BURGUS, R. (1976) C. R. Acad. Sci. 282, 783–785.Google Scholar
- PERT, C. B. and BOWIE, D. L. (1978) In: Endorphins in Mental Health Research. eds: Usdin, E., Bunney, Jr., W. E., and Kline, N. S. MacMillian Press, London, in press.Google Scholar
- WIEGANT, V. M. and GISPEN, W. H. (1975) Exp. Brain Res. 23 Suppl. p. 219.Google Scholar