Reversal of Birefringence Sign of Natural and Synthetic Polyelectrolytes in the Presence of Metal Cations and Coordination Complexes
The interaction of Mg2+, Mn2+, K2PtC14 and cis-Pt(NH3)2 Cl2 with DNA, chromatin and polyvinylimidazole has been investigated using electric birefringence measurements. Reversals of sign of the birefringence have been observed in a number of experimental conditions. Their interpretation is discussed in terms of changes in the intrinsic optical anisotropy due to the formation of compact structures, form anisotropy and in the appearance of new absorption bands.
KeywordsElectric Polarizability Coordination Complex Platinum Compound Optical Anisotropy Binding Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Emonds-Alt X, Thesis, University of Liège, (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.Depauw-Gillet M C, Houssier C and Fredericq E (1978), submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 4.Dupont A and Houssier C (1978), unpublished observations.Google Scholar
- 5.Dellicourt C and Tricot M (1978), unpublished observations.Google Scholar
- 6.Ding D, Thesis, University of New Mexico, (1977).Google Scholar