Effects of Calcium and ATP on the Conformation of F-Actin in Vivo and in Vitro
The dichroism spectrum of I-band in a glycerinated single fiber of muscle was very similar to that of an oriented F-actin filament in vitro. The negative dichroism of F-actin in the thin filament in vivo or in vitro was found to change with the addition of Ca ions, suggesting a conformational change of F-actin. In the absence of ATP, a small amount of bound H-meromyosin induced a remarkable decrease of the dichroism of F-actin. Upon the addition of Mg-ATP, the negative dichroism of the F-actin-H-meromyosin complex became larger than that of pure F-actin, suggesting that F-actin interacting with H-meromyosin assumes a different conformation from pure F-actin. A similar increase was also observed in the F-actin-tropomyosin-troponin-H-meromyosin complex. The maximum increase was greater under the condition that super-precipitation was delayed. The possible role of F-actin in muscle contraction is discussed.
KeywordsNegative Peak Thin Filament Thick Filament Linear Dichroism Rabbit Skeletal Muscle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Huxley A F, Progress in Biophysics, 7, (1957) 255.Google Scholar
- 5.Oosawa F, Maeda Y, Fujime S, Ishiwata S, Yanagida T and Taniguchi M, J. Mechanochemistry and Cell Motility, 4, (1977) 63.Google Scholar
- 8.Maeda U, Eur. J. Biochem., in press.Google Scholar
- 9.Fujime S, J. Phys. Soc. Japan, 29, (1970) 751. 209Google Scholar
- 10.Oosawa F, Fujime S, Ishiwata S and Mihashi K, Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol., 37, (1973) 277.Google Scholar
- 12.Takebayashi T, Morita Y and Oosawa F, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 492, (1977) 357.Google Scholar
- 20.Ishiwata S and Oosawa F, J. Mechanochem. Cell Motility, 3, (1974) 9.Google Scholar
- 21.Taniguchi M, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 427, (1976) 126.Google Scholar