The leadership of the United States in the development of an understanding of bacteria as plant pathogens was launched in 1878 by Burrill of Illinois with his studies on fireblight of apple and pear. This was only two years after Koch’s demonstration of the role of the anthrax bacilli in animal diseases. Each created a first.
KeywordsPlant Disease Plant Pathogen Anthrax Bacillus Plant Pathogenic Bacterium Determinative Bacteriology
- Breed, R. S., Murray, E. G. D., and Smith, N. R., Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 7th ed. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1957.Google Scholar
- Dowson, W. J., Plant Diseases Due to Bacteria. London, Cambridge, 1957.Google Scholar
- Elliott, Charlotte, Manual of Bacterial Plant Pathogens, 2d ed. Waltham, Massachusetts, Chronica Botanica Co., 1951.Google Scholar
- Stapp, C., Bacterial Plant Pathogens, trans, by A. Schoenfeld. London, Oxford, 1961.Google Scholar
- Thimann, K. V., The Life of Bacteria. New York, Macmillan, 1955.Google Scholar