Low loss, low dispersion and high strength CVD fibers were fabricated in 5 km length. The effects of substrate bulk and surface quality and drawing conditions on long length strength are discussed.
KeywordsProof Test Modify Chemical Vapor Deposition Fuse Silica Fiber Optical Fiber Waveguide Grade Index Fiber
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Metcalfe, A. G and G. K. Schmitz, “Effect of Length on the Strength of Glass Fibers”, ASTM Proc. 64: 1075–1093 (1964).Google Scholar
- 2.Justice, B. and S. Gulati, “Tensile Tester for Long Optical Fibers”, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 57 (2) 217–219 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.Miller, T. J. and A. C. Hart, “Silicone-Coated Fused Silica Fibers with Tensile Strength * 3.5 GN/m2 (500 kpsi) in * 1 km Gage Lengths”, presented at the annual meeting of Amer. Ceram. Soc., Detroit, Michigan (May 1978).Google Scholar
- 4.DiMarcello, F. V., A. C. Hart, Jr., J. C. Williams and C. R. Kurkjiaan, “Effect of Drawing Conditions on the Strength of Silica Fibers”, ibid.Google Scholar
- 5.Schief, C. L., S. M., Oh, and A. R. Asam, “Characterization of CO2 Laser Polished Glass Surface”, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.Saifi, M. A., “Limitation in CO2 Laser Fiber Drawing”, presented at the Topical Meeting on Optical Fiber Transmission II, Williamsburg, Virginia (February 1977).Google Scholar
- 7.Kao, C., M. Maklad, J. E. Goell, “Testing of Tensile Strength of Optical Fiber Waveguides”, ibid.Google Scholar
- 8.Mecholsky, J. J., S. W. Freiman and S. M. Morey, “Fractographic Analysis of Optical Fibers”, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 56 (11) 1016–1017 (1977).Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 1979