Coating optical waveguide fibers as they are drawn has been found to be an effective means of preserving waveguide strength. Coatings can also be a significant factor in the reduction of microbending losses. Functional, material, and applicator requirements are limiting factors in the coating process. These requirements and the current state of coating technology are presented. Coating performance, problem areas, and the direction of future work are also discussed.
KeywordsOptical Waveguide Coating Solution Buffer Coating Normal Stress Coefficient Corning Glass Work
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. A. Miller, “Fabrication, Coating and Evaluation of Optical Fibers, ” Final Report prepared for the Naval Electronics Laboratory/Center under Contract N00123–73-C-2041, (Aug. 1974).Google Scholar
- 2.R. D. Maurer, R. A. Miller, D. D. Smith and J. C. Trondsen, “Optimization of Optical Waveguides-Strength Studies, ” Final Report prepared for the Office of Naval Research under Contract N00014–73-C-0–293, (March 1974).Google Scholar
- 3.J. F. Frazier and R. A. Miller, “Research and Development on Ultra-Lightweight Low-Loss Optical Fiber Communication Cable,” Interim Report prepared for U.S. Army Electronics Command, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, by Corning Glass Works under Contract DAAB07–73-C-0348, (September, 1974 ).Google Scholar
- 4.W. B. Gardner, “Microbending Loss in Optical Fibers, ” B.S.T.J., 54, 457 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Marcuse, “Losses and Impulse Response of a Parabolic Index Fiber with Random Bends, ” B.S. T. J., 52, 1432 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.D. Gloge, “Optical-Fiber Packaging and Its Influence on Fiber Straightness and Loss, ” B. S. T. J., 54, 245 (1975).Google Scholar
- 9.A. H. Cherin and E. J. Murphy, “An Analysis of the Effect of Lossy Coatings on the Transmission Energy in a Multimode Optical Fiber, ” B. S. T. J., 54, 1531 (1975).Google Scholar
- 10.D. A. Pinnow, J. A. Wysocki, and G. D. Robertson, “Hermetically Sealed High Strength Fiber Optical Waveguides,” 1977 International Conference on Integrated Optics and Optical Fiber Communication, Tokyo, 335 (1977).Google Scholar
- 13.A. C. Hart, Jr., and R. V. Albarino, “An Improved Fabrication Technique for Applying Coatings to Optical Fiber Wave-guides, ” Optical Fiber Transmission II, Topical Meeting, paper TuB2–1, Williamsburg (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.P. W. France, P. L. Dunn, M. H. Reeve, “On Line Fibre Coating Using Tapered Nozzles, ” Proc. 3rd European Conference on Optical Fiber Communication, Munich (1977).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Remick, “Three-Dimensional Hydrodynamic Analysis of a Tapered Optical Waveguide Coating Die, ” Internal CGW report.Google Scholar