The Use of Computerized Tomography in the Diagnosis of Pulmonary Nodules
Pulmonary nodules continue to task the diagnostic and therapeutic acumen of the specialist in chest diseases. Of particular interest is the solitary pulmonary nodule or coin lesion. Controversy concerning the management of such lesions ultimately involves the probability of a given nodule being benign or malignant. There is variation in the reported experience of specialists in the outcomes of diagnostic procedures. McClure et al. (1961), working with patients identified in a mass radiologic screening program, found that less than 5% of solitary nodules were malignant. Abeles and Ehrlich (1951) and Davis et al. (1956) reported that 30 to 60% of coin lesions are malignant.
KeywordsPulmonary Nodule Malignant Nodule Benign Nodule Subtraction Image Solitary Pulmonary Nodule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carlens, E., “Mediastinoscopy: A Method for Inspection and Tissue Biopsy in the Superior Mediastinum,” Dis. Chest. 36: 343 (1959).Google Scholar
- Davis, E. W., Peabody, J. W., Jr., and Katz, S., “The Solitary Pulmonary Nodules: A Ten Year Study Based on 215 Cases,” J. Thorac. Surg. 32: 728 (1956).Google Scholar
- Garland, L. H., “The Differential Diagnosis of Solitary Pulmonary Nodules,” Chicago Medical Society Bull. (April 12, 1958 ).Google Scholar
- Huang, H. K., and Ledley, R. S., “Pictorial Medical Pattern Recognition,” in Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (Chen, C. H., ed.), Academic Press, N. Y. (1976), 340–373.Google Scholar
- Lillington, G. A., “The Solitary Pulmonary Nodule-1974, ” A.. Rev. Resp. Dis. 110: 699 (1974).Google Scholar
- McClure, D. C., Boucot, K. R., Shipman, G. A., et al., “The Solitary Pulmonary Nodule and Primary Lung Malignancy,” Arch. Environ. Health 3: 127 (1961).Google Scholar
- Muhm, J. R., Brown, L. R., and Crowe, J. K., “Use of Computerized Tomography in the Detection of Pulmonary Nodules,” Mayo Clinic Proc. 52: 345 (1977).Google Scholar
- Steele, J. D., “The Solitary Pulmonary Nodule,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 46: 21 (1963).Google Scholar