Universal Behaviour of Platinum Chain Compounds, Deduced from Electrical Conduction Results
During the last few years the substantial interest in quasi one-dimensional (1D) conductors has led to an enormous amount of both theoretical and experimental evidence. However, the detailed descriptions of the behaviour of individual compounds, often leaves little to the benefit of a simple and unified picture of the field. It seems therefore worthwhile, in the scope of this workshop, to point out where such “universal behaviour” exists, and it is the purpose of this paper to present the platinum chain compounds as a well-defined class of simple 1D systems; and it will be shown that the real compounds exhaust most of the interesting parameter space that theorists have outlined. For simplicity, we shall confine our description to the electrical conductivity, with minor degression to what can be learned from diffuse X-ray scattering.
KeywordsConduction Mechanism Universal Behaviour Unify Picture INTERCHAIN Coupling Dimensional Metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Thieleman, R. Deltour, D. Jérome, and J.R. Cooper, Solid State Commun. 19 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.D.J. Wood and A.E. Underbill, N.Y.Acad.Sci. (in press); and K. Carneiro, A.S. Pedersen, A.E. Underbill, D.J. Wood, G.A. Mackenzie (preprint).Google Scholar
- 4.M.J. Scbaffman, M.B. Salamon, G. Pasquali, A.J. Scbultz, and G.D. Stucky, N.Y. Acad. Sci. (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Carneiro, C.S. Jacobsen, and J.M. Williams (preprint).Google Scholar
- 6.A.E. Underbill and D.J. Wood, paper presented at this workshop.Google Scholar
- 7.C.G. Kuper, Proc.R.Soc. A227, 214 (1955).Google Scholar
- 9.V. Emery, in “Chemistry and Physics of One Dimensional Metals” (ed. H.J. Keller, Plenum, 1977).Google Scholar
- 10.B. Horovitz, H. Gutfreund, and M. Weger, Phys.Rev. B12, 3174 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.R. Comes, M. Lambert, H. Launois, H.R. Zeller, Phys.Rev. B8, 571 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.L.B. Coleman, J.A. Cohen, A.F. Garito, A.J. Eeeger, Phys.Rev. B7, 2122 (1973).Google Scholar
- 13.J.W. Lynn, M. Iizumi, G. Shirane, S.A. Werner, and R.B. Saillant, Phys.Rev. B12, 1154 (1975).Google Scholar