Preparation of Organic Metals and Insulators: Some Ideas and Guidelines
Organic π-molecular donors and acceptors have been found to form a wide variety of charge transfer salts, with a wide variety of physical properties. Historically, interest has been sharply focused on those few which have a high d.c. electrical conductivity at room temperature and on how to design new organic metals. In the future, however, we anticipate that interest will broaden to include the understanding of how to make the various types of nonconducting salts. Considering the difficulty of making predictions for any material, any discussion of how to prepare an organic material with a particular property must be regarded as speculative, particularly in such a new and complex field as organic charge transfer salts. Thus, the ideas presented here should be regarded as a crude basis or starting point which must be tested, modified and improved.
KeywordsCharge Transfer Complex Salt Mixed Valence Organic Metal Halide Salt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.D. O Cowan, P. Shu, C. Hu, W. Krug, T. Carruthers, T. Poehler and A. Bloch, in “Chemistry and Physics of One-Dimensional Metals,” NATO Advanced Study Institute Series, 25 (B-Physics), ed. H. J. Keller (Plenum Press, N.Y., 1977) p. 25.Google Scholar
- 5.J. B. Torrance, Accts. Chem. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.J. B. Torrance, in Proceedings of Conference on Synthesis and Properties of Low-Dimensional Materials, ed. J. S. Miller and A. J. Epstein, Annals of N.Y. Acad. Sci. 313, 210 (1978).Google Scholar
- 10.J. B. Torrance and B. D. Silverman, Rev. B15, 788 (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.J. J. Mayerle, J. B. Torrance, V. Y. Lee and J. I. Crowley (to be submitted); and R. M. Metzger, J. B. Torrance, J. J. Mayerle and J. Crowley, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 23, 356 (1978).Google Scholar
- 14.M. E. Hawley, T. O. Poehler, T. F. Carruthers, A. N. Bloch, D. O. Cowan and T. J. Kistenmacher, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 23, 424 (1978); this volume, and to be submitted.Google Scholar
- 17.J. B. Torrance, J. J. Mayerle, V. Y. Lee, J. I. Crowley and K. Bechgaard, to be submitted.Google Scholar