Luteal Phase Deficiencies in Peripubertal Rhesus Monkeys: Mechanistic Considerations
Short luteal phases in peripubertal monkeys were identified by abbreviated progesterone secretion. Evaluation of the hormonal profiles for LH, FSH, and estradiol revealed that depressed serum concentrations of FSH during the follicular phase and LH and estradiol during the luteal phase were associated with luteal defects. In addition, morphological differences in the corpora lutea of short and normal luteal phases were identified. A mechanism is presented whereby inadequate follicular phase FSH secretion results in abbreviated luteal function.
KeywordsMenstrual Cycle Corpus Luteum Preovulatory Follicle Luteal Function Luteal Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (2).G. Jones: Progress in Infertility, eds. S.J. Behrman and R.W. Kistner ( Little, Brown & Co., Boston, 1968 ) p. 299.Google Scholar
- (3).G.R. Doring. J. Reprod. Fert., Suppl. 6 (1977) 77.Google Scholar
- (5).J.R. Clark, D.J. Dierschke and J.J. van der Werff ten Bosch. S.S.R. Abstract #97, 1976.Google Scholar
- (6).J.R. Clark, D.J. Dierschke and R.C. Wolf. Biol. Reprod., in press.Google Scholar
- (8).D.J. Dierschke and J.R. Clark. J. Med. Prim. 5 (1976) 100.Google Scholar
- (9).P.T.K. Toivola, W.E. Bridson and J.A. Robinson. Endocrinology (1978), in press.Google Scholar
- (15).R.C. Vande Wiele, J. Bogumil, I. Dyrenfurth, M. Feru et al. Recent Prog. Horm. Res. 26 (1970) 63.Google Scholar
- (16).C.P. Channing and C.N. Sakai. FASEB Abstract #383, 1978.Google Scholar
- (17).B. Corenblum, N. Pairaudeau and A.B. Shewchuk. Obstet. and Gynecol. 47 (1976) 486.Google Scholar
- (18).J. Meites and C.S. Nicoll. Ann. Rev. Psychol. 28 (1966) 57.Google Scholar