Evidence That the Pituitary Gland is the Site of Inhibitory Action of Porcine Follicular Fluid upon FSH Secretion in the Rat
This study has examined the effects of porcine follicular fluid (PFF) on the adenohypophyseal secretion of LH and FSH following LHRH treatment. The animal model selected for study was the proestrous rat in which preovulatory LH and FSH surges were blocked with phenobarbital. To elicit the release of gonadotropins from this preparation, two different i.v. LHRH infusion protocols were used. The first elicited a proestrouslike LH and FSH surge while the second infusion schedule evoked the predominant release of FSH with only minor changes in LH. PFF suppressed LHRH-induced FSH secretion in both preparations but had only negligible effects on LH secretion. Interestingly, the suppressive effects of PFF were variable and depended upon the mode in which LHRH was presented.
KeywordsPituitary Gland Corpus Luteum Function Porcine Follicular Fluid Water Soluble Testis LHRH Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Baker, H.W.G., W.J. Bremner, H.G. Burger, D.M. deKretser, A. Dulmanis, L.W. Eddie, B. Hudson, E.J. Keogh, V.W.K. Lee, and G.C. Rennie. Rec. Progr. Horm. Res. 32(1976)429.Google Scholar
- (5).Franchimont, P., S. Chari, M.T. Hagelstein, and S. Duraiswani.Google Scholar
- (9).Erickson, G.F. and A.J.W. Hsueh. Endocrine Society Abstract #540 (1978).Google Scholar
- (10).Lorenzen, J.R., N.B. Schwartz, and C.P. Channing. Fed. Proc. 37(1978)296.Google Scholar
- (11).Lorenzen, J.R., G.H. Dworkin, N.B. Schwartz, and C.P. Channing. 1978 Endocrine Society Abstract #46.Google Scholar
- (12).DePaolo, L.V., P.M. Wise, L.D. Anderson, C.A. Barraclough, and C.P. Channing. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- (15).Wise, P.M., N. Rance, G.D. Barr and C.A. Barraclough. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- (16).Lagace, L., F. Labrie, N.B. Schwartz, J. Lorenzen, and J.H. Dorrington. Endocrine Society Abstract #727.Google Scholar
- (17).Shander, D., L.D. Anderson, C.A. Barraclough, and C.P. Channing. 1978 Workshop on Ovarian Follicular and Corpus Luteum Function (C.P. Channing, J. Marsh and W.D. Sadler eds,) Plenum Press, New York in press.Google Scholar