This conference has signified the coming of age of a new era in photopion physics in complex nuclei. The size, enthusiasm, and young average age of the participants indicates the recent origins of this field, which in fact is just several years old. The conference has been characterized by the enthusiasm and high professional standards of both speakers and participants, with lively discussions, so that a review paper would be superfluous. Therefore, I will present a status report of where we are and where we are heading. In a sense I will try to anticipate the agenda of the next Photopion Symposium which we anticipate will be as successful as the present one. In particular, I would like to try to assess the range of possible potentialities of this field with some educated guesses about new physics to learn. This is done in a sceptical spirit, keeping in mind what Gerry Brown concluded in his introductory review — it is not clear what new physics surprises are in store for us or what new things we may learn. However, it is clear that just based on the things we know about we can anticipate that we have very interesting things to study.
KeywordsThreshold Region Nuclear Matrix Element Pion Photoproduction Complex Nucleus Coincidence Experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.For a bibliography of the early papers on pion and photopion physics see H. A. Bethe and F. de Hoffman, Mesons and Fields, Vol. II, Dow, Peterson & Co., Evanston, 111. (1955).Google Scholar
- 2.See e. g., K. H. Althoff in Proceedings of the June Workshop in Intermediate Energy Electromagnetic Interactions, MIT, A. M. Bernstein, editor, to be published, and Bonn Report HE 76-U (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Von Holtey, Springer Tracts 59, 3Google Scholar
- 7.M. I. Adamovich, Proceedings (Trudy) of the P, N, Lebedev Physics Inst., Vol. 71, Photonuclear and Photomesic Processes (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.P. E. Aragan etal., to be published,Google Scholar
- 10.P. Bosted and J. M. Laget, Nucl. Phys. A296 413 (1978),Google Scholar
- 13.T. W. Donnelly in Proceedings of the June Workshop in Intermediate Energy Electromagnetic Interactions, MIT, A. M. Bernstein, editor, to be published and T.W. Donnelly and J. B. Camerata, to be published.Google Scholar