Cognition and the Brain
The aim of this paper is to put the search for brain corre lates of stimulus meaning, the general topic of the first section of this book, into the broad perspective of cognition and the brain. I shall begin by making a brief statement of some of the major points of view to be developed, along with a rough outline of the paper.
KeywordsNeural Activity Sound Wave Light Wave Conscious Experience Psychological Attribute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adey, W.R. The influences of impressed electrical fields at EEG frequencies on brain and behavior. In, N. Burch and H.L. Altschuler (Eds. ), Behavior and Brain Electrical Activity. New York: Plenum, 1975.Google Scholar
- Berger, P.L. and Luckman, T. The Social Construction of Reality. New York: Doubleday, 1966.Google Scholar
- Gibson, J.J. The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1966.Google Scholar
- Henle, M. On naive realism. In, R.B. MacLoed and H.L. Pick, Jr. (Eds. ), Perception. Essays in Honor of James J. Gibson. Ithaca: Cornell University, 1974.Google Scholar
- Hillyard, S.A. and Picton, T.W. Event-related potentials and selective information processing in man. In, J.E. Desmedt (Ed. ), Cerebral Evoked Potentials in Man. In press.Google Scholar
- John, E.R. A model of consciousness. In, G.E. Schwartz and D. Shapiro (Eds. ), Consciousness and Self-Regulation. Advances in Research. Volume I. New York: Plenum, 1976.Google Scholar
- Köhler, W. and Wallach, H. Figural after-effects: An investiga tion of visual processes. Proceedings of the American Philosoph ical Society, 1944, 88, 269–357.Google Scholar
- Neisser, U. Cognitive Psychology. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1967.Google Scholar
- Ritter, W. The place of consciousness in brain research. In, D. Otto (Ed. ), Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Event-Related Brain Potential Research. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, in press.Google Scholar
- Russell, B. Human Knowledge: Its Scope and Limits. New York: Schuster, 1948.Google Scholar