The Biosynthesis of Prolactin
Prolactin biosynthesis involves the transcription and translation of the prolactin gene in specialized cells of the anterior pituitary. These cells are highly adapted to synthesize and secrete large amounts of prolactin (PRL) in response to the correct physiological signals. Thus, these cells are specialized to facilitate the production of a single gene product, PRL. Understanding of PRL biosynthesis will require knowledge of the molecular machinery that permits this specialization in the production of a single peptide, as well as understanding the molecular events involved in the regulation of this process.
KeywordsPartial Amino Acid Sequence Prolactin Synthesis Prolactin mRNA Cell Free Product Disperse Pituitary Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- MacLeod, R. M., Abad, A., and Eidson, L. L., 1969, In vivo effect of sex hormones on the in vitro synthesis of prolactin and growth hormone in normal and pituitary tumor-bearing rats, Endocrinology 84: 1475.Google Scholar
- Maurer, R. A., 1974, 3H-estradiol binding macromolecules in the hypothalamus and anterior pituitary of normal female, androgenized female and male rats, Brain Res. 67: 175.Google Scholar
- Meites, J., Lu, K. -H., Wuttke, W., Welsch, C. W., Nagasawa, H., and Quadri, S. K., 1972, Recent studies on functions and control of prolactin secretion in rats, Recent Prog. Horm. Res. 28: 471.Google Scholar
- Neill, J. D., 1974, Prolactin: Its secretion and control, in: Handbook of Physiology, Section 7, Endocrinology, Vol. IV, Part 2 ( E. Knobil and W. H. Sawyer, eds.), pp. 469–488, American Physiological Society, Washington, D. C.Google Scholar
- Parlow, A. F., and Shome, B., 1976, Rat prolactin: The entire linear amino acid sequence, Fed. Proc. Fed. Am. Soc. Exp. Biol. 35: 219.Google Scholar
- Roberts, B. E., and Paterson, B. M., 1973, Efficient translation of tobacco mosaic virus RNA and rabbit globin 9 S RNA in a cell-free system from commercial wheat germ, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 70:2330.Google Scholar
- Samli, M. H., Lai, M. F., and Barnett, C. A., 1972, Protein synthesis in the rat anterior pi-Google Scholar
- tuitary. II. Solubility studies on total protein, growth hormone and prolactin labeled in an in vitro incubation, Endocrinology 91: 227.Google Scholar
- Szczesna, E., and Boime, I., 1976, mRNA-dependent synthesis of authentic precursor to human placental lactogen: Conversion to its mature hormone form in ascites cell-free extracts, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 73: 1179.Google Scholar
- Tashjian, A. H., Jr., and Hoyt, R. F., Jr., 1972, Transient control of organ-specific functions in pituitary cells in culture, in: Molecular Genetics and Developmental Biology ( M. Sussman, ed.), pp. 353–387, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.Google Scholar