Synthetic Aperture HF Radar Wave Measurement Experiments
The directional distribution of ocean waves at one or several discrete wave lengths can be measured to 5 or 10 degree resolution by a high-frequency surface-wave radar system using a synthetic aperture antenna. For infrequent observations, the synthetic aperture antenna may be simpler than a large antenna installation having the same directional resolution. The application of the synthetic aperture to oceanographic observations is illustrated by experiments which measured the directional distribution of waves in the open ocean from a small island and from a ship in the Pacific Ocean, and the fetch-limited growth of waves following a polar frontal passage at Galveston, Texas.
KeywordsOpen Ocean Synthetic Aperture Radar Ocean Wave Directional Resolution Directional Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clarke, J. 1970. Aperture-synthesis technique for h.f. ionospheric radar, Proc. IEEE, 117, 1633–1638Google Scholar
- Harger, R. O. 1970. Synthetic Aperture Radar Systems: Theory and Design, Academic Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Lynch, J. T. 1970. Aperture synthesis for HF radio signals propagated via the F layer of the ionosphere, Stanford Electronics Laboratories, Stanford, California, Technical Report, SU-SEL-70–066.Google Scholar
- Shearman, E. D. R., P. Bickerstaff, and L. Fotiades. 1973. Synthetic-aperture skywave radar: techniques and first results. IEEE Conference Proceedings: Radar-Present and Future, 105.Google Scholar
- Stewart, R. H. and J. W. Joy. 1974. HF radio measurement of surface currents, Deep Sea Res., 21, 1039–1049.Google Scholar
- Teague, C. C., G. L. Tyler, J. W. Joy, and R. H. Stewart. 1973. Synthetic aperture observations of directional height spectra for 7 s ocean waves, Nature, Physical Science, 244, 98–100.Google Scholar
- Teague, C. C. 1975. In situ decametric radar observations of ocean wave directional spectra during the 1974 Norpax “pole” experiment: Final report, Radioscience Lab., Stanford University, Technical Report, SEL-75–003.Google Scholar
- Tyler, G. L., C. C. Teague, R. H. Stewart, A. M. Peterson, W. H. Munk, and J. W. Joy. 1974. Directional spectra from synthetic aperture observations of radio scatter, Deep Sea Res., 12, 989–1016.Google Scholar