Data Buoy Wave Measurements
The Data Buoy Office of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) develops and deploys data buoy systems for the acquisition and reporting of marine data. Various types of these systems acquire wave data. The quality of wave spectra from these systems depends upon hull and hardware configurations. This paper provides an overview of existing and planned systems for the measurement of wave data.
KeywordsSignificant Wave Height Wave Data Wave Measurement Analog Filter National Weather Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- General Dynamics. 1975. Technical manual for the Model 313 data acquisition and control system for the prototype environmental buoy. TM-75-PEB-3.Google Scholar
- Goda, Y. 1974. Estimation of wave statistics from spectral information, International Symposium on Ocean Wave Measurements and Analysis, New Orleans, Am. Soc. Civ. Engs., 1. 320–337Google Scholar
- Hubert, W. E. 1976a. Evaluation of spectral wave data from EB-41, Tech. Report 6, Ocean Data Systems, Inc.Google Scholar
- Hubert, W. E. 1976b. An operational evaluation of PEB buoy systems, Ocean Data Systems, Inc.Google Scholar
- Hubert, W. E. 1977a. Evaluation of environmental data acquired by Magnavox Phase I I Buoy Systems, Final Technical Report, Ocean Data Systems, Inc.Google Scholar
- Hubert, W. E. 1977b. Evaluation of spectral wave data acquired by NOMAD buoys, Final Technical Report, Ocean Data Systems, Inc.Google Scholar
- Longuet-Higgins, M.S., D. E. Cartwright, and N. D. Smith. 1963. Observations of the directional spectrum of sea waves using the motions of a floating buoy, Ocean Wave Spectra, Prentice Hall, N.Y. 111–136.Google Scholar
- Magnavox. 1976. Equipment operations manual for Phase II payload system.Google Scholar
- NOAA Data Buoy Office. 1973. Practical experience with buoys, internal NDBO report.Google Scholar
- Remond, F. X. 1976. Ocean spectrum measurement with analog filters, In: Proceedings of 22nd International Instrumentation Symposium, San Diego, Calif.Google Scholar
- Steele, K. E., J. M. Hall, and F. X. Remond. 1975. Routime measurements of heave displacement spectra from large discus buoys in the deep ocean. In: Proceedings of the First Combined IEEE Conference on Engineering in the Ocean Environment and the Annual Meeting of the Marine Technology Society (OCEANS 75), San Diego.Google Scholar
- Steele, K. E., P. A. Wolfgram, A. Trampus, and B. S. Graham. 1976. An operational high resolution wave data analyzer system for buoys. In: Proceedings of the Second Annual Combined Conference Sponsored by the Marine Technology Society and the IEEE (OCEANS ‘76), Washington, D.C.Google Scholar