Wall Carbohydrate Antigens of A. Israelii
Several publications (1–3) have stressed the importance of Actinomyces in relation to the commensal oral flora and disease in man. The habitat of the Actinomyces is limited almost without exception (4) to the oral cavity of man and animals and recently organisms resembling A. viscosus and A. naeslundii have been isolated from the higher and lower primates, herbivores, insectivores and fruit eating animals (5). With such a limited habitat Actinomyces species might be regarded as typically oral organisms, in the same way that E. coli is associated with the gut. As such, strains of Actinomyces could be well suited for use in studies of immune responses to the commensal oral flora.
KeywordsType Strain Carbohydrate Fraction Lower Primate Recent Isolate Cell Wall Carbohydrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jena Symposium on Taxonomy, The Actinomycetales, (Edited by Prauser, H.) Gustav Fischer, Verlag, Jena, 1968.Google Scholar
- 2.Bowden, G. H. and Hardie, J. M., in Actinomycetales Characteristics and Practical Importance (Edited by Sykes, G. and Skinner, F. A.) p. 277, Academic Press, London, 1973.Google Scholar
- 3.Slack, J. M. and Gerencser, M. A., Actinomyces, Filamentous Bacteria Biology and Pathogenicity, Burgess Publishing Co., Minneapolis, 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.Dent, V. E., Hardie, J. M. and Bowden, G. H., J. Dent. Res. 55: 85D, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.Bowden, G. H., Hardie, J. M. and Fillery, E. D., J. Dent. Res. 55: Spec. Issue A, 192, 1976.Google Scholar
- 7.Gerencser, M. A. and Slack, J. M., J. Dent. Res. 55: Spec. Issu. A, 184, 1976.Google Scholar
- 9.Bowden, G. H., Separation and Chemical Examination of Actinomyces Antigen, Thesis, University of London, 1973.Google Scholar
- 10.Tylenda, C. A., Seidler, S. and Gabriel, O., J. Dent. Res. 56: Spec. Issue A., 680, 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.Fillery, E. D., Bowden, G. H. and Hardie, J. M., Caries Res. in press, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Cummins, C. S., in Actinomycetales, Jena International Symposium on Taxonomy (Edited by Prauser, H.) Gustav Fischer, Verlag, Jena, 1968.Google Scholar