Pressure Dependence of Crystal Field Parameters in Rare Earth Intermetallic Compounds
Pressure derivatives of crystal field parameters at zero pressure can be derived from measurements of the low temperature specific heat and thermal expansion of compounds exhibiting CEF-effects in their thermal properties. We demonstrate this for the singlet ground state systems PrSb and TmSb and for the two-level systems SmSb and CeTe. The results are in disagreement with expectations from a simple effective point charge model. They demonstrate the importance of other contributions to the crystal electric field than that expected from the charges on the ligand sites.
KeywordsCrystal Field Pressure Dependence Volume Dependence Crystal Field Parameter Point Charge Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on CEF effects in metals and alloys, Montreal 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on CEF effects in metals and alloys, Zürich (Plenum Press, New York 1977).Google Scholar
- 3.R.J. Birgeneau, E. Bucher, J.P. Maita, L. Passell and K.C. Turberfield, Phys. Rev. B8, 5345 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.H.R. Ott and B. Lüthi, to appear in Z. Physik B.Google Scholar
- 8.R.J. Birgeneau, E. Bucher, L. Passell and K.C. Turberfield, Phys. Rev. B4, 718 (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.D.B. McWhan, this conference.Google Scholar