Psychosomatic Issues in Assessment
The last decade and a half has witnessed the emergence of the field of clinical gerontology and a rapidly growing interest in the physical and mental health problems of the aged. In a few short years, lay and professional groups have been organized, political interest has become focused, governmental task forces have been commissioned, professional journals have appeared, books have been written, subspecialties in several fields of medicine and social science have been developed—all centering around a basic concern with the nature and scope of health care for the elderly.
KeywordsPhysical Illness Degenerative Disc Disease Psychosomatic Disorder Somatic Illness Organic Brain Syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernai, G. A. A., Brannon, L. J., Belar, C., Lavigne, J., and Cameron, R. Psychodiagnostics of the elderly. In W. D. Gentry (Ed.), Geropsychology: A model of training and clinical service. Cambridge, Mass.: Ballinger, 1977.Google Scholar
- Busse, E. W., and Pfeiffer, E. Functional psychiatric disorders in old age. In E. W. Busse and E. Pfeiffer (Eds.), Behavior and adaptation in late life. Boston: Little, Brown, 1969.Google Scholar
- Butler, R. N., and Lewis, M. I. Aging and mental health. St. Louis: Mosby, 1973.Google Scholar
- Dovenmuehle, R. H., Busse, E. W., and Newman, G. Physical problems of older people. In E. Palmore (Ed.), Normal aging. Durham: Duke University Press, 1970.Google Scholar
- Gentry, W. D. The role of the psychologist. In Guidelines for an information and counseling service for older persons. Durham: Duke University Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, 1970.Google Scholar
- Gentry, W. D. (Ed.). Geropsychology: A model of training and clinical service. Cambridge, Mass.: Ballinger, 1977.Google Scholar
- Lindemann, E. Symptomatology and management of acute grief. In A. Monat and R. S. Lazarus (Eds.), Stress and coping: An anthology. New York: Columbia University Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- Nowlin, J. B., and Busse, E. W. Psychosomatic problems in the older person. In E. D. Witkower and H. Warnes (Eds.), Psychosomatic medicine. New York: Harper and Row, 1977.Google Scholar
- Sternbach, R. A. Pain patients: Traits and treatments. New York: Academic Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- Verwoerdt, A. Clinical geropsychiatry. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1976.Google Scholar
- Weiner, H. Psychobiology and human disease. New York: Elsevier, 1977.Google Scholar
- Whanger, A. D., and Busse, E. W. Geriatrics. In B. B. Wolman (Ed.), The therapist’s handbook: Treatment methods of mental disorders. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1976.Google Scholar