Real-Time High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry
A detailed description of the performance of a computer-coupled, high-resolution mass spectrometer system is presented. The results obtained from this system, which consist of accurate mass and intensity measurements for all ionic species present in a mass spectrum, are presented and discussed in the context of both system evaluation and application to organic analysis. The results indicate that mass measurement accuracies of 1 ppm or better are routinely obtainable through the use of the fouraverage technique, and that intensity measurement accuracy is limited only by ion statistics. Furthermore, system performance remains the same over a wide range of scan rates and mass spectrometer resolutions. Applications of such a system to organic analysis permits rapid acquisition and analysis of spectra and drastically reduces elemental composition ambiguities. A method for resolution of unresolved multiplets based on the mass measurement performance of the system is presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Bommer, W. J. McMurray, and K. Biemann, 12th Annual Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Montreal (June 7–12, 1964), p. 428. A. L. Burlingame, EUCHEM Conference on Mass Spectrometry, Sarlât, France, September 7–12, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.A. L. Burlingame, Advances in Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 4 (E. Kendrick, ed.), The Institute of Petroleum, London (1968), p. 15. W. J. McMurray, S. R. Lipsky, and B. N. Green, ibid., p. 77. C. Merritt, Jr., P. Issenberg, and M. L. Bazinet, ibid., p. 55. H. C. Bowen, E. Clayton, D. J. Shields, and H. M. Stanier, ibid., p. 257.Google Scholar
- 4.A. L. Burlingame, D. H. Smith, R. W. Olsen, and T. O. Merren, 16th Annual Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Pittsburgh (May 12–17, 1968). D. H. Smith, R. W. Olsen, and A. L. Burlingame, ibid.Google Scholar
- 5.D. D. Tunnicliff and P. A. Wadsworth, private communication.Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Burlingame, D. H. Smith, and R. W. Olsen, Anal. Chem. (in preparation).Google Scholar
- 8.C. La Lau, Mass discrimination caused by electron-multiplier detectors, in: Topics in Organic Mass Spectrometry (A. L. Burlingame, ed.), Wiley-Interscience, New York (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.A. L. Burlingame and D. H. Smith, unpublished results.Google Scholar