Physiologic Mechanisms in Radiation Resistance
The reticuloendothelial system constitutes a major defense system against bacterial agents and plays a vital role in the regeneration of the hemopoietic system. Exhaustion of certain cells of RE origin has been proposed as the prime cause of death after whole body irradiation (2). It is logical to assume that the functional activity of the RES is an important factor in the resistance against radiation effects.
KeywordsPhagocytic Activity Reticuloendothelial System Radioprotective Effect Irradiate Animal Traumatic Shock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Reichard, S.M., The Reticuloendothelial System: Morphology, Immunology and Regulation, Kyoto, Nissha, (1965) 359.Google Scholar
- 5.Reichard, S.M., Radiation Res., 31 (1967) 566.Google Scholar
- 7.Reichard, S.M., Radiplogy, 91 (1968) 132.Google Scholar
- 8.Reichard, S.M. and Corrill, L., Fed. Proc., 27 (1968) 507.Google Scholar
- 9.Reichard, S.M. and Corrill, L.S., J. Reticuloendothel. Soc., 5 (1968) 584.Google Scholar