Homeostasis of Oxygen Supply in Liver and Kidney
Local oxygen supply of liver, pancreas, duodenum and skeletal muscle has been investigated in our laboratory. The histograms of oxygen tension which result from these measurements are relatively uniform and very similar to one another (see also Kunze 1966). Fig. l shows a typical histogram of the liver of the anaesthetized, spontaneously respiring rat (Görnandt et al. 1973). The histograms of the other organs mentioned above do not differ substantially. In contrast to these PO2-distribution curves the histogram of the outer cortex of kidney (Sunder-Plassmann et al. 1973) lies within a higher range of oxygen tension (Fig. 2). This is due to the high functional perfusion rate of kidney.
KeywordsOxygen Tension Renal Blood Flow Oxygen Transport Capillary Length Local Oxygen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bartels, H. and Harms, H.: Sauerstoffdissoziationskurven des Blutes von Säugetieren. Pflügers Arch. ges. Physiol. 268, 334 (1959).Google Scholar
- 2.Görnandt, L. and Kessler, M.: Pot histograms in regenerating liver tissue. In: Oxygen in tissue, ed. by M. Kessler, D.F. Bruley, L.C. Clark, D.W. Lübbers, I.A. Silver and J. Strauss, p. 288. Urban & Schwarzenberg München-Berlin-Wien 1973.Google Scholar
- 3.Kessler, M., Görnandt, L. and Lang, H.: Correlation between oxygen tension in tissue and hemoglobin dissociation curve. p. 156. Ibid.Google Scholar
- 4.Kunze, K.: Die lokale kontinuierliche Sauerstoffmessung in der menschlichen Muskulatur. Pflügers Arch. ges. Physiol. 292, 151 (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.Sunder-Plassmann, L., Sinagowitz, E., Rink, R., Dieterle, R., Meßmer, K. and Kessler, M.: The local oxygen supply in tissue of abdominal viscera and of skeletal muscle in extreme hemodilution with stromafree hemoglobin solution. This Symposium.Google Scholar
- 6.Schäfer, D., Höper, J., Starlinger, H. and Kessler, M.: Influence of different perfusion media on ultrastructure and function of perfused liver. Pflügers Arch. ges. Physiol. 335 (Suppl.), R 34 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.Suwa, N. and Takahashi, T.: Morphological and morphometrical analysis of circulation in hypertension and ischemic kidney. Ed. by F. Büchner. Urban Schwarzenberg München-Berlin-Wien 1971.Google Scholar