Protein Binding to Monosodium Urate Crystals and its Effect on Platelet Degranulation
The membranolytic effects of microcrystalline monosodium urate (MSU) on biologic membranes are well documented for a number of cells and subcellular structures [1–3]. This process has been ascribed to hydrogen-bond formation between the crystal and membrane phospholipids and is blocked by strong hydrogen acceptors such as proteins or anionic polymers . Since the acute inflammatory response of gouty arthritis occurs in protein-rich joint fluid, we have examined the protein adsorptive properties of MSU crystals. The effects of adsorbed protein on polymorphonuclear leukocytes and platelet degranulation were studied and are reported in detai1.
KeywordsNormal Human Serum Platelet Suspension Monosodium Urate Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Prior Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Hunter R: Standardization of the Chloramine-T Method of Protein lodination. Proc Soc Exp Med 133:980, 1970.Google Scholar
- 7.Kozin F, McCarty DJ: Protein Binding to Monosodium Urate Monohydrate, Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate, and Silicon Dioxide Crystals. I. Physical Characteristics. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 8.Bergmeyer HU, Bernt E, and Hess B: Lactic Dehydrogenase in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Bergmeyer Hu (Ed.), Academic Press, New York, 1963, p. 736.Google Scholar
- 10.Saber HA: Handbook of Biochemistry, The Chemical Rubber Co., Cleveland, Ohio, 1968.Google Scholar
- 11.Alurtz RA: Electrochemical Properties of Proteins and Amino Acids. In The Proteins, H Newrath and K Bailey (Eds.), Academic Press, New York, 1953.Google Scholar
- 12.Ginsberg MH, Kozin F, Chow D, May J, and Skosey J: The Time Course of Monosodium Urate Crystal-Induced Release of Polymorphonuclear Leukocytes. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 15.Giles CH and MacEwan TH: Classification of Isotherm Types for Adsorption from Solution. Proc Int Congr of Surf Act II 3:457, 1957.Google Scholar
- 16.Mustard JF and Packham MA: Platelet Phagocytoses. Ser Haematol 2:168, 1968.Google Scholar