In Vitro Investigations on the Influence of Antirheumatic Drugs on Purine Phosphoribosyltransferases and Their Possible Clinical Consequence
According to the chronic course of rheumatic diseases drug therapy is necessary for a long time. Because of the great variability of diseases which are summarized under the term “rheumatic diseases” different drugs have been developed. Most of them have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. Today these pharmaceuticals will be divided into nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory compounds, corticosteroids, drugs for chrysotherapy, anti-malarial drugs, anti-gout drugs and for special cases of septic arthritis antibiotics. The term antirheumatic is used in a general sense and indicates that the drug has a good effect in the treatment of human rheumatic disease, but its precise action is not completely clear. On the other hand, there is evidence of a lot of side effects being caused by the application of antirheumatic drugs (Mathies, 1). Most of the side effects have a clinical background, whereas biochemical effects are not usually seen. We therefore tested some antirheumatic drugs for their influence on the purine-phosphoribosyltransferases.
KeywordsUric Acid Rheumatic Disease Human Erythrocyte Human Lymphocyte Uric Acid Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mathies, H.: Klinik und Therapie der Nebenwirkungen. G. Thieme, Stuttgart, 923 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.Potter, V.R., Elvehjem, C.A.: J.biol. Chem. 114, 495 (1936).Google Scholar
- 4.Partsch, G., Altmann, H., Eberl, R.: Purine Metabolism in man. Advance in experimental medicine and biology. Plenum Press, New York, Vol. 41A, 103 (1974).Google Scholar
- 6.Fox, I.H., Kelley, W.N.: Purine Metabolism in man. Advance in experimental medicine and biology. Plenum Press, New York, Vol. 41A, 319 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.Emmerson, B.T., Gordon, R.B., Thompson, L.: Purine Metabolism in man. Advance in experimental medicine and biology. Plenum Press, New York, Vol. 41A,, 327 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.Latham, B.A., Radcliff, R., Robinson, R.G.: Amer.Phys.Med. 9, 242 (1966).Google Scholar
- 9.Worthington, W.W.: Scand.J.Rheum., Suppl. 8. S02–04 (1975).Google Scholar