Membrane Structure and Function with Different Lipid-Supplemented Diets
In 1966 we made the observation that the (Na+, K+)-ATPase and (Mg2+)-ATPase from rat erythrocyte of animals fed with a commercial diet showed a lesser degree of cooperativity as compared with animals fed with the same diet supplemented either with lard or cod liver oil (Farías, 1967). The work performed by our group in the last ten years confirmed our early hypothesis that changes in the lipid composition of the cell membranes modify the regulatory activity of the membrane-associated enzymes (Farías et al., 1975). Conclusive evidence has been accumulated indicating that allosteric transitions and modification of other kinetic parameters of a given enzyme could be correlated with changes in the “conformation” or “state” of the protein involved. The determination of these kinetic parameters in membrane-associated enzymes may give some clues as to how these enzymes are regulated by the membrane. On the other side, changes in the behavior of enzymes may indicate if some modifications in membrane structure take place under special situations such as changes in lipid composition or action of hormones (Massa et al., 1975; Moreno & Farías, 1976; De Mendoza et al., 1977) or other chemical agents (Domenech et al., 1976).
KeywordsDietary Lipid Hill Coefficient Breaking Point Membrane Fatty Acid Composition Fatty Acid Family
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloj B., Morero R. D. & Farias R. N. (1974) J. Nutrition 104, 1265–1272Google Scholar
- Bloj B., Galo M. G., Morero R. D. & Farias R. N. (1976a) J. Nutrition 106, 1827–1834.Google Scholar
- Bloj B., Morero R. D. & Farias R. N. (1976b) Paper in preparation.Google Scholar
- De Mendoza D., Massa E. M., Morero R. D. & Farias R. N. (1976) Fed. Proc. 35 N° 32139Google Scholar
- Farias R. N. (1967) Doctoral dissertation. Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires (Argentina)Google Scholar
- Martinez de Melian E. R., Morero R. D. & Farias R. N. (1976) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 422, 127–137Google Scholar
- Singer S. J. (1971) in Structure and Function of Biological Membrane (Rothfield L. I. ed.) pp 146–223. Academic Press., LondonGoogle Scholar