3-D-(−) Hydroxybutyrate Dehydrogenase from Rat Liver Mitochondria — Purification and Interaction with Phospholipids
The existence of membrane-bound enzymes has been known for many years and it has been proposed that most particulate enzymes are associated with the lipid matrix of biological membranes. Fleischer & Klouwen (1961) were the first to show the lipid requirement in enzyme reactions of the mitochondrial electron transport system. It is now recognized that there are a number of membrane-bound enzymes which require phospholipid for function. Any lipid-requiring enzyme must fulfill two minimal experimental criteria for proof of lipid involvement, namely (a) removal of lipid by mild procedures result in loss of enzymic activity, and (b) the activity is restored when lipids are added in a suitable physical state to the delipidized enzymes. Point (b) entails the demonstration that activity is restored after rebinding of phospholipid to the enzyme.
KeywordsMixed Micelle Double Reciprocal Plot Fatty Acyl Chain Fatty Acyl Composition Lipid Requirement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boveris A., Cattaneo de Peralta Ramos M., Stoppani A. O. M. & Foglia V. (1969) Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 132, 170–175Google Scholar
- Chapman D. in Form and Function of Phospholipids (Ansell G. B., Hawthorne J. N. & Dawson R. M. C., editors), pp 117–142, Elsevier, Amsterdam. 1973Google Scholar
- Guglielmucci E. A., Vidal J. C., Brenner R. R. & Stoppani A. O. M. (Unpublished)Google Scholar
- Guglielmucci E. A., Vidal J. C. & Stoppani A. O. M. (Unpublished)Google Scholar
- Hubbell W. L. & McConnell H. M. (1970) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 43, 314–326Google Scholar
- Mercuri O., Peluffo R. O. & Brenner R. R. (1966) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 116, 284–290Google Scholar
- Phillips M. C. in Progress in Surface and Membrane Science (Danielli F. J., Rosenberg M. D. & Cadenhead D. A., editors) Vol. 5, pp 139–221, Academic Press, New York, 1972Google Scholar
- Roldan A. G., Del Castillo E. J., Boveris A., Garaza Pereira A. M. & Stoppani A. O. M. (1971) Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 137, 791–805Google Scholar
- Vidal J. C., Guglielmucci E. A. & Stoppani A. O. M., Mol. Cell. Biochem., 1976 (in press)Google Scholar