Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Oxygen Transport in Fetal Brain
The purpose of this investigation was to experimentally and theoretically determine the transient response of the fetal brain PO2 to dynamic changes in maternal arterial PO2. In the experimental analysis transient changes in maternal arterial PO2 of two specific types were studied; 1) the transient change from a condition of maternal hyperoxia to maternal normoxia, 2) a transient change from a condition of maternal hyperoxia to maternal hypoxia followed by a return to hyperoxia. In the theoretical analysis the response of fetal brain PO2 during the transition from a condition of maternal hyperoxia to maternal normoxia was simulated mathematically by solving equations which represent the placental exchange system, fetal circulatory system, and fetal brain.
KeywordsOxygen Transport Fetal Brain Transient Change Exchange Unit Oxygen Removal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Berhmann, R. E., M. H. Lees, E. N. Peterson, C. W. deLannog, and A. E. Seeds. Amer. J. Obstet. Gynec. 108:956–69, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.Bicher, H. I., D. D. Reneau, D. F. Bruley, and M. H. Knisely. Amer. J. Phys. 224:274–82, 1973.Google Scholar
- 5.Bischoff, K. B., and R. G. Brown, Chemical Engineering in Medicine, Chemical Engineering Progress Symposium Series, AICHE, N.Y. 62:32–45 (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.Cameron, J. M., D. D. Reneau, and E. J. Guilbeau. Proceedings of the Summer Computer Simulation Conference, Houston, TX, 1974.Google Scholar
- 7.Erdmann, E. Respiratory Gas Exchange and Blood Flow in the Placenta, ed. by L. D. Longo and H. Bartels, H.E.W. Pub. 459, 1972.Google Scholar
- 8.Guilbeau, E. J., D. D. Reneau, and M. H. Knisely. Advances in Chemistry Series No. 118, Chemical Engineering in Medicine, American Chemical Society, 1973.Google Scholar
- 9.Guilbeau, E. J., and D. D. Reneau. Oxygen Transport to. Tissue, Pharmacology, Mathematical Studies, and Neonatology, ed. by D. F. Bruley and H. I. Bicher, Plenum, 1973.Google Scholar
- 10.Hill, E. P., G. G. Power, and L. D. Longo. J. of Applied Physiol. 222:721–29 (1972).Google Scholar
- 14.Reneau, D. D., H. I. Bicher, D. F. Bruley, and M. H. Knisely. Blood Oxygenation ed. by Daniel Hershey, Plenum Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- 15.Reneau, D. D., H. I. Bicher, D. F. Bruley, W. C. Reardon, and M. H. Knisely. Biomedical Engineering Computer Simulation, Preprint lOf 69th National Meeting of A.I.Ch.E., Cincinnati, May, 1971.Google Scholar