Local Tissue Po2 and Microflow of the Brain Cortex Under Varying Arterial Oxygen Pressure
In the last few years contradictory results of the influence of reduced arterial oxygen supply on the Po2 of the brain cortex have been reported by different authors. As this could be caused by methodological factors, we investigated this problem systematically in a broader range of arterial oxygen supply. We measured local tissue oxygen pressure (Po2) with a platinum multiwire surface electrode simultaneously on up to eight adjacent sites of the cortical surface, and with a platinum needle electrode in the deeper layers of the cortex.
KeywordsOxygen Supply Arterial Oxygen Local Tissue Brain Cortex Adjacent Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baumgärtl, H., Lübbers, D. W. (1974) Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 2.Bicher, H. I.: Autoregulation of oxygen supply to brain tissue. In: Oxygen Transport to Tissue, eds. H. I. Bicher and D. F. Bruley, 215 – 222, Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 37A, Plenum Press, New York 1973Google Scholar
- 4.Erdman, W., Kunke, St., Krell, W.: Tissue Po2 and cell function. An experimental study with multimicroelectroaes in the rat brain. In: Oxygen Supply. Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Oxygen Supply and Microcirculation of Tissue, eds. M. Kessler, D. F. Bruley, L. C. Clark Jr., D. W. Lübbers, I. A. Silver, J. Strauss, 169 – 174, Urban & Schwarzenberg, München — Berlin — Wien 1973Google Scholar
- 5.Kessler, M., Lübbers, D. W.: Aufbau und Anwendungsmöglichkeiten verschiedener Po2 -Elektroden. Pflügers Arch. ges. Physiol. 291, R 82 (1966)Google Scholar
- 6.Leniger-Follert, E., Lübbers, D. W.: Regulation of local tissue Po2 in the grey matter of the cat. Proc. 3 Tbilisi Symp. on Brain Blood Supply, June 5–7, 1974, 34 – 35 Metsnierka Publ. Tbilisi 1974Google Scholar
- 8.Lübbers, D. W., Leniger-Follert, E.: Oxygen supply to the cells of the brain during various functional states. Alfred Benzon Symp. VIII: On the Working Brain, Copenhagen, May 26 – 30, 1974Google Scholar
- 10.Silver, I. A.: Brain oxygen tension and cellular activity in oxygen supply. In: Oxygen Supply. Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Oxygen Supply and Microcirculation of Tissue. Eds. M. Kessler, D. F. Bruley, L. C. Clark Jr., D. W. Lübbers, I. A. Silver, J. Strauss, 186 – 188, Urban & Schwarzenberg, München — Berlin — Wien 1973Google Scholar