On the Prosthetic Groups of L-Tryptophan 2,3-Dioxygenase from Pseudomonas: Evidence for Noninvolvement of Copper in the Reaction
The amounts of copper present in highly purified preparations of L-tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase from Pseudomonas fluorescens have been shown to be negligible by six different methods of copper determination. It has also been demonstrated that, during the purification, the heme content of enzyme preparations increased in parallel with the specific enzyme activity, whereas that of copper decreased.
These results, together with the finding that the inhibitory effects of copper chelators on the enzyme could be attributable to some other action of these chemicals rather than to their chelating properties, indicate that copper is not an essential component of L-tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase.
KeywordsEnzyme Preparation Copper Content Pseudomonas Fluorescens Specific Enzyme Activity Standard Assay Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hayaishi, O., Proceedings of the Plenary Sessions, Sixth International Congress of Biochemistry1964, IUB Vol. 33, p.31Google Scholar
- 6.Ishimura, Y., Nozaki, M., Hayaishi, O., Tamura, M., and Yamazaki, I., in K. Okunuki, M. D. Kamen, and I. Sekuzu (Editors), Structure and function of cytochromes, University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, 1968, p.188Google Scholar
- 7.Hayaishi, O., Ishimura, Y., Fujisawa, H., and Nozaki, M., On the oxygenated intermediate in enzymic oxygenation. In T. E. King, H. S. Mason and M. Morrison (Editors), Oxidases and Related Redox Systems, University Park Press, Baltimore Vol. 1, p.125 (1971)Google Scholar
- 8.Ishimura, Y., Okazaki, T., Nakazawa, T., Ono, K., Nozaki, M., and Hayaishi, O., in K. Bloch and O. Hayaishi (Editors), Biological and chemical aspects of oxygenases, Maruzen Company, Ltd., Tokyo, 1966, p.416Google Scholar
- 14.Feigelson, P., and Brady F. O., in O. Hayaishi (Editor), Molecular mechanisms of oxygen activation, Academic press, New York, 1973, p.87Google Scholar
- 17.Layne, E., Methods Enzymol., 3, 450 (1957)Google Scholar
- 19.Warburg, O., and Christian, W., Biochem. Z., 298, 150 (1938)Google Scholar
- 21.Poillon, W. N., and Dawson, C. R., Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 77, 1195 (1955)Google Scholar
- 22.Sandell, B. E., Colorimetric determination of traces of metals, Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, 2nd Ed., 1950, p.295Google Scholar