The Cockerel as an Animal Model for Atherosclerosis Research
Small and suitable for prolonged laboratory investigation.
Able to develop spontaneous atherosclerosis.
Capable of producing atherosclerosis after cholesterol feeding with elevated hypercholesterolemia. A diet of 1/4% cholesterol plus 5% cottonseed oil added to starter-grower-mash resulted in aortic atherosclerosis with a slight but significant increase in plasma cholesterol.
Plasma levels of cholesterol and triglyceride are similar to those in humans.
Lipid composition of high and low density lipoproteins as well as chylomicrons resembles those of humans.
Has been noted that there is no essential difference between vascular lesions seen in chickens as a result of cholesterol diet and that of atherosclerosis observed in man.
KeywordsAbdominal Aorta Plasma Cholesterol Cholesterol Diet Average Grade Atherogenic Diet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dauber, D. V. and Katz, L. N. Arch. Path. 34: 937, 1942.Google Scholar
- 2.Fox, H. In: Arteriosclerosis. E. V. Cowdry, editor, Macmillan, New York, pp. 153–193, 1933.Google Scholar
- 3.Dauber, D. V. Arch. Path. 38: 46, 1944.Google Scholar
- 4.Dauber, D. V. and Katz, L. N. Arch. Path. 36: 473, 1943.Google Scholar
- 6.Wong, H. Y. C., Johnson, F. B. and Wong, A. K. Circulation 16: 501, 1957.Google Scholar
- 7.Wong, H. Y. C., Wong, A. K. and Johnson, I. B. Circulation 18: No. 3, 482, 1958.Google Scholar
- 8.Wong, H. Y. C., Johnson, T. F. and Johnson, F. B. Proc. of 1st International Pharmacological Meeting, Vol. 2, Pergamon Press, Oxford, p. 115, 1963.Google Scholar
- 9.West, W. and Wong, H. Y. C. Proc. of 1st International Pharmacological Meeting, Vol. 2, Pergamon Press, Oxford, p. 99, 1963.Google Scholar
- 10.Wong, H. Y. C. and Johnson, F. B. Circulation Res. Vol. XI: 843, 1962.Google Scholar
- 11.Wong, H. Y. C. and Johnson, F. B. Fed. Proc. 26, No. 2: 489, 1967.Google Scholar
- 12.Wong, H. Y. C., David, S. and Orimilikwe, S. O. Fed. Proc. 32, No. 147: 1973.Google Scholar
- 13.Katz, L. N. and Stamler, J. Experimental Atherosclerosis. C. C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, p. 127, 1953.Google Scholar
- 14.Stamler, J. and Katz, L. N. Circulation 2: 705, 1950.Google Scholar