Utilization and Tolerance of Intravenous Fat Emulsions
Emulsions of fat have been the subject of much research in the field of parenteral nutrition because they offer a concentrated source of calories in a moderate volume without the complications of hypertonic solutions. It is generally accepted that a suitable emulsion would be highly desirable in those instances where caloric requirements are high and excessive amounts of fluid must be avoided. Much of the effort in this area during the past three or four decades has been devoted to proving intravenously administered fat is utilized, is efficacious, and is devoid of serious reactions when properly formulated (Geyer, 1960; Wretlind, 1972; Geyer, 1970). This presentation is concerned with the utilization and tolerance of parenteral fat emulsions.
KeywordsParenteral Nutrition None None Unesterified Fatty Acid Choline Phosphate Parenteral Amino Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coats, D.A. and Collins, F.D. Symposium on Intravenous Therapy and Parenteral Nutrition, Melbourne, Australia 1969.Google Scholar
- Fraser, R. and Hakansson, I. In: Complete Intravenous Nutrition (A. Wretlind, ed.), S. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 1972.Google Scholar
- Geyer, R.P. Physiol. Rev., 40, 150, 1960.Google Scholar
- Geyer, R.P. In: Parenteral Nutrition (H.C. Meng and D.H. Law, eds.), Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, 1970.Google Scholar
- Geyer, R.P. In: Balanced Nutrition and Therapy (K. Lang, W. Fekl, and G. Berg, eds.), George Thieme, Stuttfart, Germany, 1971.Google Scholar
- Hakansson, I., Holm, I., Obel, A.-L., and Wretlind, A. In: Symp. of the Int. Soc. of Parenteral Nutrition (Pallas, Lochham bei Munchen, 1967).Google Scholar
- Hallberg, D. Acta Physiol. Scand., 65, suppl., p. 254, 1965b.Google Scholar
- Hallberg, D. In: Parenteral Nutrition (H.C. Meng and D.H. Law, eds.), Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, 1970.Google Scholar
- Wretlind, A. In: Complete Intravenous Nutrition (A. Wretlind, ed.), S. Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 1972.Google Scholar