Metabolic Complications of Total Parenteral Nutrition
There is little question that total parenteral nutrition constitutes a valuable and often life-saving therapy for complex nutritional disorders of infants, children and adults. As the use of this technique has become widespread, the indications and contraindications for its use are beginning to emerge rather clearly. However, such widespread use of the technique has been attended by a sometimes alarming degree of abuse as reflected by the high rates of serious metabolic and septic complications which have been reported. It is the purpose of this paper to review the origin of various metabolic complications which may occur during the course of parenteral nutrition and, perhaps of greater importance, to present our views on how these complications can be minimized or avoided.
KeywordsTotal Parenteral Nutrition Metabolic Complication Amino Acid Mixture Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency Cationic Amino Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, M. I., Pediatr. Res., 1:334, 1973.Google Scholar
- Cohen, M. I., Personal Communication.Google Scholar
- Dudrick, S. J., in: Intravenous Alimentation of High Risk Infants, Gov’t Printing Office, In Press.Google Scholar
- Ghadimi, H., Abaci, F., Kumar, S, and Rathi, M, Pediatrics 48:995, 1971.Google Scholar
- Heird, W. C., in: Intravenous Alimentation in High Risk Infants, Gov’t Printing Office, In press.Google Scholar
- Heird, W. C., Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- Heird, W. C., Driscoll, J. M., Schullinger, J. N., et al., J. Pediatr., 30:351, 1972.Google Scholar
- Heird, W. C. and Nicholson, J. F.: Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- Stegink, L. D., Personal Communication.Google Scholar
- Walker, F. A., New Engl. J. Med., 285:1324, 1971.Google Scholar
- Williams, G. S., Klenk, E. L. and Winters, R. W., in: The Body Fluids in Pediatrics, Winters, R. W., Ed., Little, Brown and Co., Boston, 1973.Google Scholar
- Winters, R. W., in: The Body Fluids in Pediatrics, Winters, R. W., Ed., Little, Brown and Co., Boston, 1973.Google Scholar