The Effects of Insulin on Fetal Development in “Gestational Diabetes”
There is a close relationship between diabetes and pregnancy (1,2). The metabolic and physiological changes occurring during pregnancy due to ovarian and placental hormone secretion, (increased appetite, the physiological weight gain and the tendency to sodium and fluid retention) may cause great difficulty in the control of maternal diabetes. This increases the incidence of obstetric complications such as toxemia, hydramnion, habitual abortions, sudden fetal death, and difficult and prolonged labor. Maternal diabetes also increases neonatal pathology; newborns tend to be larger, suffer especially from hypoglycemia and respiratory distress syndrome, and in general display a higher frequency of congenital anomalies than do infants of non-diabetic mothers (1–3).
KeywordsInsulin Therapy Gestational Diabetes Obstetric Complication Obstetric History Maternal Diabetes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DELAY, I.I., E, PTACEK, J. Am. J. Obst. Gynec. 106: 550, 1970.Google Scholar
- 2.HUGHES, E.C. Post-graduate Med. 42: 487, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.DOLGER, H., BOOKMAN, J.J. and JOELSON, R.H. The Pregnant Diabetic and Pre-Diabetic. In: Medical, Surgical and Gynecological Complications of Pregnancy, pp. 457. ( Guttmacher, H.F. E, Ronimsky, J.J., eds.) The William and Wilkins Company, Baltimore (1960).Google Scholar
- 5.BORONOW, R.C. and MCELIN, T.W. Am. J. Obst. Gynec. 90: 1022, 1965.Google Scholar
- 6.DeISLA, PEREYRA, A. and BOTELLA-LLUSIA, J. Post-graduate Med. 42: 409, 1967.Google Scholar
- 8.WILLINGER, V.M. Am. J. Obst. Gynec. 94: 57, 1966.Google Scholar
- 9.PEDOWITZ, P. and SHLEVIN, E.L. Obst. Gynec. 9: 524, 1957.Google Scholar
- 10.MILLER, H.C. HURWITZ, D. and KADER, K. JAMA 124: 211, 1944.Google Scholar
- 11.O’SULLIVAN, J.B., GELLIS, S.S., DAWDROW, R.V. $ O’TENNEY. B. Obst. Gynec. 27: 638, 1966.Google Scholar
- 16.PEREYRA, A., RODRIGUEZ, J.L. and BOTELLA-LLUSIA, J. Acta Ginec. (Madrid) 28: 337, 1967.Google Scholar
- 17.PEREYRA, A. and RODRIGUEZ, J.L. Acta Ginec. (Madrid) 18: 535, 1967.Google Scholar