Maternal-Fetal Transport of Iron and Iodine in Human Subjects
Information on the absorption, distribution and metabolism of normal body constituents as well as drugs, and toxic materials in man is difficult to obtain. The development of tracer techniques has made it possible to label various components and to follow the distribution of the labelled material. In many circumstances, it is possible to use small amounts of radioactive isotopes as labels, and with this technique accurate results can be obtained with simplicity. In some circumstances, especially in normal pregnant subjects or in normal newborn infants, it is not possible to justify the use of radioactive tracers. In these situations, the same kind of information can often be obtained with stable tracers. This paper will summarize data we have obtained on maternal-fetal transport of the radioactive tracers 131I and 59Fe in women receiving therapeutic abortions and of the stable tracer 58Fe in normal pregnancies.
KeywordsFetal Liver Percentage Uptake Absorb Radiation Dose Therapeutic Abortion Fetal Organ
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MEDICAL INTERNAL RADIATION DOSE COMMITTEE, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Inc. J. Nuc. Med. (Suppl.) 9:2, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.RALL, J.E., ROBBINS, J. & LEWALLEN, C.G. The Thyroid, in Pincus, G., Thiman, K.V. & Astwod, E.B., The Hormones, Vol. IV, Chap. 3, Academic Press, Inc., New York (1964).Google Scholar
- 4.POTTER, E.L. Pathology of the Fetus, Chap. 2, Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., Chicago (1961).Google Scholar
- 5.DAWES, G.W. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., Chicago (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.DAVIES, J. Human Development Anatomy, The Ronald Press Company, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- 7.EVANS, T.C., KRETZSCHMAR, R.M., ET AL. J. Nuc. Med. 8: 157, 1967.Google Scholar
- 8.LAMPE, L., KERTESZ, L. & DZUONYAR, J. Zentralbl. Gynaek. 86: 905, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.LAMPE, L., KERTESZ, L. & DZUONYAR, J. Orv. Hetiz. 105: 981, 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.DUBOIS, E.F., Basal Metabolism in Health and Disease, Chap. 7, Lea F Febiger, Philadelphia (1936).Google Scholar
- 11.HAHN, P.H., CAROTHERS, E.L., DARBY, W.J., ET AL. Am. J. Obst. and Gynec. 61: 477, 1951.Google Scholar
- 15.DYER, N.C., BRILL, A.B., Et al. “Blood Volume and Hemorrhage Timing in Newborn Infants with Respiratory Distress Using the Stable Tracer, 50Cr”, Proceedings of National Topical Meeting of the American Nuclear Society, Neutron Sources and Applications, Augusta, Ga., April 19–21, 1971 (Unpublished data).Google Scholar