Control of Systemic and Pulmonary Vasomotor Tone Before and After Birth
The last decade has witnessed a striking increase in our knowledge regarding the dynamics of fetal and neonatal circulation. Information has been gathered which has shed light on the various factors that control systemic and pulmonary vascular tones during intrauterine life and the transitional changes that occur at birth. Of considerable importance in fetal and neonatal adjustments is the role played by the blood respiratory gases in the control of pulmonary vasomotor tone before and after birth (1, 2, 3, 4).
KeywordsPulmonary Vascular Resistance Systemic Vascular Resistance Pulmonary Blood Flow Pulmonary Vasodilatation Ductus Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Assali, N.S., Bekey, G.A. and Morrison, L.W.: Fetal and Neonatal Circulation. In: Biology of Gestation, Vol. II (Ed.) N.S. Assali, Academic Press, Inc., 1968, pp. 51–116.Google Scholar
- 2.Dawes, G.S.: Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, Yearbook Medical Publishers, Inc., 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.Assali, N.S., Johnson, G.H., Brinkman, C.R., III, and Kirschbaum, T.H.: Amer. J. Obst. & Gynec. 108: 761–771, 1970.Google Scholar
- 7.Assali, N.S., Johnson, G.H., and Brinkman, C.R., III: Am. J. Physiol, (In press).Google Scholar
- 8.Assali, N.S., Morris, J.A., Smith, R.W., and Manson, W.A.: Circulation Res. 8: 478–489, 1963.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, R.W., Morris, J.A., and Assali, N.S.: Am. J. Obst. & Gynec. 89: 252–260, 1964.Google Scholar
- 12.Assali, N.S.: Am. J. Obst. & Gynec. 97: 324–331, 1967.Google Scholar
- 14.Bekey, G.A., Morrison, W., and Assali, N.S.: Proc. 8th Internat. Conf. Eng. and Med. In Biol., Chicago, Illinois, July 23, 1969.Google Scholar
- 20.Bech-Jansen, P., Brinkman, C.R., III, Johnson, G.H., and Assali, N.S.: Circulatory Shock in Pregnant Sheep. I. Effects of Endotoxin on Utero-placental and Fetal Umbilical Circulation (In press).Google Scholar
- 21.Bech-Jansen, P., Brinkman, C.R., III, Johnson, G.H., and Assali, N.S.: Circulatory Shock in Pregnant Sheep. II. Effects of Endotoxin on Fetal and Neonatal Circulation, (in press).Google Scholar